Mixing Oils

Hi All.

Over the last 3/4 years I have gathered a few 1l bottles of oil from various places. I have the following all in the same 5w40 spec.

Shell Helix Ultra
Fuchs Titan GT1
Motul X-Clean 8100
Triple QX Full Synthetic

I believe all of them are fully synthetic. I have enough if I mix all 4 to get a full oil change on my old Peugeot 306 HDi engine.

Would this be okay to do, or would this cause an issue do you think?

Thanks
smile.gif

Jack

You can pretty much mix any oils, there's only a handful of different additives they really use in them and pretty much any base stock used in a PCMO can be mixed with no interaction.

Project Farm had a video where he mixed 10 different oils and did a VOA and UOA after running it and everything was fine.

Originally Posted by jtaylor2005
Hi All.

Over the last 3/4 years I have gathered a few 1l bottles of oil from various places. I have the following all in the same 5w40 spec.

Shell Helix Ultra
Fuchs Titan GT1
Motul X-Clean 8100
Triple QX Full Synthetic

I believe all of them are fully synthetic. I have enough if I mix all 4 to get a full oil change on my old Peugeot 306 HDi engine.

Thanks
smile.gif

Jack

It's all compatible oil..... blend away to your heart's content.

Cheers everyone
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Naw, mix-match whatever just pay attention to estimated viscosity. BTW is this the 4 pot diesel? That could matter.

Yeah it is mate.
smile.gif

Pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned has lived on random mixes it's whole life,

Either that, or it drank from the same 55 gallon drum of 15W-40 that everything else on the farm was getting.

I've done it in beaters over the years. No problems to report, but I won't do it in a vehicle I don't consider a beater.

Originally Posted by jtaylor2005
Hi All.

Shell Helix Ultra
Fuchs Titan GT1
Motul X-Clean 8100
Triple QX Full Synthetic

Thanks
smile.gif

Jack

It's not going to be ideal, but I doubt it will damage anything. Running it through the summer makes it particularly safe as well, as typically the most affected spec is cold temp performance.

Originally Posted by Kira
CT8 asked, "Why are you asking?" Because he wants answers would be my bet.

Crankcases are chemical sewers. Mix away. Keep it clean.

CT8 holds the BITOG record for asking those-type questions in the first sentence of his posts. We all demonstrate different personalities here. Members here shake their heads at some of my comments too.

I would love to see a UOA of the OP's four oil blend someday. Even a VOA.

Back