mixing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
Thanks but way to complicated for me. I just want to plug in the viscosities. Roger

Since SAE viscosity numbers are ranges and not absolutes, that doesn't really work.

I wouldnt mix, especially 5w-20 and 5w-30, the chemistries can be vastly different and you most likely would get a suboptimal blend. BTDT. Out of tens of tries only 2 worked for me, M-clean 5000 padding 10w-40 on to 5w-30 fill in the summer, and M1R4T into valvoline synpower 10w-30, to get smoother running. Everything else had to be dumped at high cost for materials.

Thanks but way to complicated for me. I just want to plug in the viscosities. Roger

Actually the calculator is not bad to use. Go to the oil company spec sheets and plug in the numbers. I've fooled around with it and found it helpful.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wouldnt mix, especially 5w-20 and 5w-30, the chemistries can be vastly different and you most likely would get a suboptimal blend. BTDT. Out of tens of tries only 2 worked for me, M-clean 5000 padding 10w-40 on to 5w-30 fill in the summer, and M1R4T into valvoline synpower 10w-30, to get smoother running. Everything else had to be dumped at high cost for materials.

Arco, what you said has me curious. Why do you say that only 2 out of tens of tries worked for you? Why did you have to dump them?

I've mixed a few different oils over the years with no problems, and I've read many stories on this forum of people mixing oils without problems.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I have thought of mixing half 5w20 and half 5w30 (of the same brand SM rated oil)
to have something around 5w25. My 08' Corolla specs 5w30 but a Toyota TSB allows 5w20 but some BITOGers claim the 5w20 makes the 1ZZFE noisier. I think the chemisty of 5w20's was very different (superior) when they first came out 9 or 10 years ago but I'm not sure that's still the case? Do you think 50/50 mix of say QS dino 5w20 and 5w30 would be problematic?

PS: Before finding BITOG I often mixed oils. I do it far less now because I understand about different additive packages clashing or just diluting each other. I can honestly say I never recall having a problem with any mixture. What type of problems did you experience?

Then maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be mixing oils. I'm just saying.

Does anybody else have an opinion on mixing 50/50 of 5w20 and 5w30 of the same brand SM rated oil... ie: PP?

I have 4 "orphaned" quarts of Schaeffer's Supreme Blend 5W-30 SL, 1 quart of Motorcraft Blend 5W-20 SL and 1 of Motorcraft 5W-20 SM. My 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 V-8 was spec'd new for 5W-20 SL oil. It's been running on Motorcraft 5W-20, since new, using SL until SM replaced it. I run 5,000 miles or less in one year. Other than diluting the quality of the better Schaeffer oil I don't see a problem. Especially since the Motorcraft oil is considered one of the better 5W-20 Blends. Then I'll go back to using straight Motorcraft 5W-20. Even with NJ's winters the Schaeffer 5W-30 with Group 2+ and ~20% PAO should not cause problems in my typical winter scenario.

Whimsey

I've mixed oils for various reasons over the years.
Maybe to go heavier in one application, and thinner in the next.
Maybe to use up oil on hand or add to 'whatever ' is in someone's crankcase.
No harm has ever been perceived .
Of course, no internal measurements were taken before and after the duration of the OCI.

I don't see any additive clashing problems, but maybe if 2 oils dilute each others add packs they won't be as effective. But it may end up being better - who knows?

To be safe:
Mixing 2 oils from the same Mfr. of the same type is not going to cause problems. It will only give you the viscosity you desire.
Look up VOAs to see about other Mfrs oils mixing properly. If they are similar [and they usually are], go ahead.

I have no fears about using anybody's mixed oil in my own cars.

i don't see the point of blending oils in your garage and magically getting some benefit.
the concensus these days on bitog is you can go a grade up or down with your motor and everything will be apples... so i honestly don't see a blend having any benefit. just pick your poison and go with it. trust the oil maker. whatever floats your boat i guess.

i routinely mix 5w20 with 5w30; if engine calls for 5w20 i mix 1:1. if engine calls for 5w30 i mix 3:1 with the one part being 5w20. i also routinely also mix the synthetic with the conventional, so each oil change, i put three different oils in.
if it's summer, it gets one part 10w30 synthetic, 2 parts 5w30 conv., and 2 parts 5w30 synth. in winter substitue 5w20 semi synth MC for the 10w30 synth. i find this works well for all engines.

IIRC, motul sez "don't mix (our) 5w40 8100 X-cess with (our)other oils"

any reason they would say that ?

coz i bought 5 litres on clearance for the next change on my 5.7, and i need to make it up to about 6 litres. and i have some other grades of motul in my workshop, but not willing to mix

OK here is the deal-- I can get 15/40 diesel oil for free. I want to mix it with something I buy to make it usable it a 2002 Bonneville. I think the 15/40 is too heavy for use in the cold weather in Ontario. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Roger

mechtech2,
I take your approach to mixing oils.
For example, the '97 Accord now has 2+2 M1 EP 5W-20 and 30.
Why?
The 5W-20 was on clearance for 2.94 at Walmart in the spring.
There were only three qts on the shelf, which I bought, figuring I would find a use for it.
A couple of months ago, Kmart had EP at 5.00/qt, and Mobil had a MIR of 10.00 on five qts, so cost works out to a reasonable 3.00/qt.
So, I now have eight qts of M1 EP at 3.00/qt, enough for two changes in the '97 Accord.
Another example would be the case of GTX 5W-20 I bought to mix with and use up a case of GTX 20W-50 left over from an old Mercedes we used to own.
So, I agree that mixing like with like is the safest route to take.
Also, while I wouldn't waste anything expensive, the occasional orphan quart or two can always become lawnmower juice.

I would just run the JDM idemitsu Toyota or Honda 0w-20 if you want a winter blend. The voa formulation seems uneclipsed by anyone for a GF4. If wanting to thin the already thin 5w30, 300mL/4L at most seems to do it. I would only run 20wt on a crossed spec engine for very short cold tripper - NO highway. With a FORD modular - no worries 20wt all the time.

OK here is the deal-- I can get 15/40 diesel oil for free. I want to mix it with something I buy to make it usable it a 2002 Bonneville. I think the 15/40 is too heavy for use in the cold weather in Ontario. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Roger
That's a group 1 and maybe II blend. Nothing you can do to it - its going to have poor low temp crank and pour point. Dont be penny wise and pound foolish for the cost of a couple gallons of gasoline! Forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back