Mixing different brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker here.

I had a question about mixing say several quarts of NextGen 5w30 with Mobil clean 5000 and maybe a qt of Mobil 1 (basically, random leftovers) for coming up w 6 qts for my Yukon. Would this be a problem? Would it really screw up future UOAs?

thanks in advance

Yeah, kinda screws up your UOA's because you have no idea what the VOA is on such a blend.

But in an engine it won't notice.

I wouldn't do that to any of my vehicles.

Why not buy a few quarts of NextGen to match up with the NextGen that you have, and do the same with your Mobil 5000 the next time ?

If you are in a situation where you cannot afford to buy oil, but absolutely need to change the oil, the mix you've suggested would be better than nothing.

Keith

Mix away my friend. I mix oils quite frequently. Unless you always use the same oil, you're bound to end up with leftovers most likely, especially if your car has an odd sump size - like our Fusion having a 5.3 qt sump. It seems that I always have at least one partially full quart of different oil lying around. As long as it carries the API certification & grade your manual specs, your car will never know the difference. Both of our cars use the same oil filter and spec the same oil grade. I usually just buy a bunch of oil when I find it on sale and end up with some leftovers, so mixing oils works for me.

I mix, but only different weights of the same brand. While mixing different brands may be ok with no ill effects for a short OCI, I would question the compatibility of additives for extended intervals. There are a few mixer UOA's on here, but they are specific to that brew, not to be used as a good or bad for your brew. The rest is butt-dyno.

I generally avoid mixing different brands with different add packs, although I will mix like with like.
For example, Durablend 10W-40 as top-off to Maxlife 10W-40.
Still, add packs are more alike than different for all brands, as are basestocks. The major difference would be between oils using sodium and those that don't, but even there, the rest of the metallic add pack seems pretty similar.
There are also long time members here who mix oils freely to obtain a desired VI or HTHSV.
Therefore, go ahead and run your mix to use up your leftovers.
It should be perfectly fine.
WRT UOAs, to get valid results for any given oil, you should probably UOA the second or third run of that oil, not the first OCI, since the first OCI will contain significant leftovers from what was previously run.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
I wouldn't do that to any of my vehicles.

Why not buy a few quarts of NextGen to match up with the NextGen that you have, and do the same with your Mobil 5000 the next time ?

If you are in a situation where you cannot afford to buy oil, but absolutely need to change the oil, the mix you've suggested would be better than nothing.

thanks - Money is not a concern. Just curious as I use mainly M1 and top off with Mobil Clean, but Autozone had NextGen for $2.50/qt so I grabbed a few. thanks again.
Keith

Oils don't get into a big fight with each other, and it's very unlikely anything bad would happen... over 5K miles.

I had some left over SM oil that I used up half/half with SN of another brand... the car didn't notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back