Mixing Dex III with Dex VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna do a first-time pan drop and fluid/filter change on my 2005 Chevy Colorado. Will not be doing a full fluid exchange, but I am thinking of using Dexron VI to refill. Is it OK to mix VI with III? Thanks!

Yes, it is absolutely OK to mix fluids. But, you do not recieve the full benefits of the new diluted fluid.

Some of the benefits that come from dexronVI are: longer ATF OCIs(which I'll never recommend), improved cold weather performance(which we all benefit from), and improved MPG from using a thinner fluid(which makes the hippies happy).

Thanks. The plan will be to do all future pan drop fluid changes with Dex VI. Eventually all of the old Dex III will be gone.
wink.gif

I've not seen any Dex VI on the shelves yet, what is your proposed source? Just curious.

I've found some Quaker State blended-synthetic Dex III, though, at WalMart. Plus some full-synthetic Mobil 1 Dex III.

Just some curious thoughts . . .
CBODY67

Pepboys has the Pennzoil DexronVI for $6 a quart. So, if pepboys can get it, then any parts store should be able to order it if you twist the manager's arm.
GMpartsdirect also sells it.

If you can't find DexVI in your area and can use DexronIII, then use any of the blend(merconV/multivehicle) or full synthetic ATFs as an upgrade over normal DexronIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back