Mixing Bias and Radials on a Trailer

Not true, he is talking about a pretty large trailer that carries heavy loads (equipment) and has its own brakes. Not one of the little 4x8 trailers from Home Depot.
Ok I can see what you're saying. It's still four inline 4x6 inch contact patches on the pavement. They don't steer but follow what's towing it and are basically just along for the ride.

I think FT92 has hit on the snag. Bias tires deflect differently than radial tires. What that means is when that trailer is loaded, the actual load being carried will be different.

If I remember correctly, bias tires would deflect more, which means the radial tires will be carrying more of the load. That's a problem, because when radial tires fail, the belts come loose and there is a lot of damage.

And contrary to your thinking, because of this deflection problem, it might be smarter to not pair on an axle, but to pair on a side.

And for reference: The reason why it was recommended not to mix bias and radials is that they react differently to steering input, so the ends of the car don't behave in unison.

And lastly, you should consider changing to 16" wheels. 16.5" tires are disappearing and will be getting more and more expensive as time goes on. It might actually be cheaper to do it now rather than later.
I disagree. Because there is an equalizer between the axles they are both carrying the same amount of weight. Tread contact area will vary with the different amount of deflection but both axles are carrying the same amount of weight under normal conditions.

Back