Mixing 10W-30 and 5W-20 Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

For the sake of increasing knowledge/experience on this board I decided to try a 50/50 mixture of Redline
grin.gif
grin.gif
. I really didnd't ever intend to try Redline bc I think its overpriced and really not that effective. But when I saw it in my local Advance Auto store I became disoriented and gave in
grin.gif
. Anyway-I only have a little over 1000 miles on the Schaeffers and to boot I have a K&N filter on. But I reasoned that this oil will be relatively clean. I will do a sample at this time and then probably go at least 6K miles on the Redline.

Here are my previous oil analysis on this vehicle:

2001 Sentra SE

I was going to go with the 5W-20 but I was afraid
frown.gif

[ June 06, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Cool, look forward to your brew.
grin.gif
I too almost baught RL at AA parts a month or so ago but held off. I am just not a fan of the oil. How long will it take before you have a UOA? Maybe diluting some of that Moly and POE with M1 will actually be a good thing.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Cool, look forward to your brew.
grin.gif
I too almost baught RL at AA parts a month or so ago but held off. I am just not a fan of the oil. How long will it take before you have a UOA? Maybe diluting some of that Moly and POE with M1 will actually be a good thing.
wink.gif

Well the next UOA will be taken today, but that will only be with the Schaeffer's. I normally only put 10-12K on the vehicle-so it will be in December some time. I refuse to go less than 6K miles on this overpriced stuff.
grin.gif

Groucho-Yea-I guess I am
grin.gif
. Probably on retrospect I should have have blended the 5W-30 with the 5W-20, but I wanted the lowest spread and figured that there is probably no Polymer in either oil and its just a blend of two different viscosity base oils.

I switched from Pennzoil 5W-30 to Redline 10W-30 on March 6, 2004. I immediately noticed an increased MPG of 10%. Now with 2,587 mi on the Redline I have confirmed that the mileage increased from 20.46mpg to 22.79mpg. That's 11.4%. All driving was city driving using Mobil regular gas bought in the Chicago metro area. The gas was bought during the same time of the year so there is not a winter/summer blend factor. With $2 gas and 10,000 mi/yr that's $100 of gas. I am starting to think I can't afford anything but Redline.
Check your gas mileage and let us know what you find.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by White Fang:

Check your gas mileage and let us know what you find.
smile.gif

I do intend to do that. And that was the reason that I switched to the mix of 30 wt. and 20 wt. The 11% you mentioned is really more than any test I have ever seen. Is it possible that you expected better milage with the Re3dLine and perhaps are driving a bit more conservatively to give it every opportunity to meet expectations ?? But what the hey-11% is 11% no matter how you are doing it
smile.gif
smile.gif

I always drive to get good gas milage so we shall see how mine goes.
wink.gif

I might be driving more conservatively just because I am thinking about it. 11% is more than I have heard of elsewhere too. The car seemed peppier after I put Redline in, but that might be only psychological.
I will do a UOA when I get 6k miles on the oil - this fall sometime. When I do I will post the results. BTW I got my Redline from site supporter myoilshop.com for $7/qt. I think you get 10% off if you buy 2 cases or more.
patriot.gif

I can't wait to see the results! I'd love to see more Redline results on here. Now that the price is finally semi reasonable in Canada (since it's now at Canadian Tire and goes on sale often) I wish I had another vehicle to test it in.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by White Fang:
BTW I got my Redline from site supporter myoilshop.com for $7/qt. I think you get 10% off if you buy 2 cases or more.
patriot.gif

Good point..If this works out I will do that also.

Yes Patman..It should be a good test since I have used Mobil 1 and Schaeffer's Moly Pure, and Schaeffer's Supreme. Also lead numbers on Nissan's seems to be somewhat higher. This is sort of a Quantum Leap for me. First going to RedLine and second going with a thinner oil. But the Oil Analysis section has convinced me that under normal driving conditions in the 20 wt oil will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back