Mix your own washer fluid?

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, and I already used Google, but I feel my question is unique. While searching, all I could find were recipes from some really strange sites that were either all about doing it cheap (cheap meaning not ideal/safe for the vehicle's parts/paint/hoses) or making a safe/non-toxic alternative that doesn't handle the cold. I'm searching for neither. So my question is, what is the readily and easily available commercial winter washer fluid made with? I want to make the same exact thing without spending $2+/gal. Everything I found said either methanol, ethanol, or alcohol. I even read people using vinegar and vodka. None of the above sound safe for the car/hoses except maybe methanol (I'm no chemist). I'm willing to experiment on the cheap, but if the answer is buy it pre-made like I always have, then so be it. Just trying to save some cash because my family fleet uses A LOT of this stuff.

Buy it by the 45 gallon barrel, that's what my boss does for the fleet of trucks at work. Way cheaper than you could ever get it by buying jugs of it.

If never dealing with dirt roads - like myself and driving 12K per year, I find only two gallons per year is all I need. 1-1/2gals during the winter and a half gallon during spring, summer and fall.

Not worth my time to venture into blending homemade mixing concoctions for my windshield. But it is worth my time to purchase vehicles with fluid sprays that are misty and widespread when applied. My Chevy Colorado spray system cleans my entire windshield very quickly and I use way under a quarter-ounce, each application.

All vehicles should have a solvent system application like the older style Chevy Colorados. Not sure if the development of the Colorado's spray system allows kudos to GM, or perhaps Isuzu, which the body style was originally crafted and designed for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Buy it by the 45 gallon barrel, that's what my boss does for the fleet of trucks at work. Way cheaper than you could ever get it by buying jugs of it.
Didn't know it was sold in barrels. Where? Link?

I have been using the following mix for years. It works very well with no detriment to finishes.

1 cup denatured alcohol
1 cup clear (not sudsy) ammonia
2 or 3 drops Dawn dish soap
Water to total 1 gallon

These measurements are very approximate because I don't bother to measure . . . I just mix it by eye.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If never dealing with dirt roads - like myself and driving 12K per year, I find only two gallons per year is all I need. 1-1/2gals during the winter and a half gallon during spring, summer and fall.

Not worth my time to venture into blending homemade mixing concoctions for my windshield.
Oh I completely agree! And I frequently have dusty conditions. If only the rest of my family could get the memo I wouldn't have this problem...

Vinegar and alcohol are higher priced unless you are diluting it way down. Those are food grade unless you can find a cheaper source.
Methanol is not food source as it will make you go blind in small amounts and kill in larger amounts.

I have seen tablets to add to water. Not sure what was in them I tried some once and thought they were fairly useless but that was a long time ago and one brand. Some may be better than others.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Didn't know it was sold in barrels. Where? Link?

I'm not sure what the brand is, he gets it from a local supplier that delivers it. It is a blue barrel but I have never seen a brand name on it, just stenciled numbers and letters.

There was a criminal case several years ago where some Russians (Russian Mafia?) were smuggling vodka to the US in 55 gallons drums. It was dyed blue and labeled windshield washer fluid. They removed the dye and bottled it as vodka. No import duty.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
NOPE, just bought 2 gallons at depot $.98 each.

HAHA Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
Can't even buy a drum for under $54!
Temporary solution, but I'll stock up. I'll stick them in my deep freeze to test, I've read the -20 rating is a stretch. Worst case it's for the other 3 seasons.

Edit: If these freeze at, for example +25°F, what is the safest thing to use to lower the freezing point? Rubbing alcohol? I wouldn't think so, but have no clue.

Last edited:
Cheap blue stays liquid in the reservoir at -15 but when it sprays the evaporative effects take more heat out and it flash-freezes on your windscreen. The alcohol evaporates better than the water so is the first to disappear.

They make methanol with reverse osmosis and are so lazy at it you get 30-70% strength and the rest water. I doubt they go to 99% purity then water it back down but I'm no chemist. I'd be curious to find an even cheaper source of this raw material.

Summer blend could probably happen on the cheaper.

Yea I also looked into this and its just cheaper to buy the good washer fluid.

Home depot does have their -20 on sale for $1 right now. I have found its good till you hit around 20degrees and worthless below 15. The -20 is when it freezes, not when it does not work well on your windshield.

I use the -25 to -30 stuff usually.

This happened to me a few months ago. I really don't use a ton of it.

I grabbed a bottle to fill up the reservoir and just before I got to the car the handle broke from the gallon jug and the whole
gallon went on the driveway. I so grabbed another bottle and when I opened the lid it seemed gritty like salt- that gallon was
crystalizing and I tossed it. So this isn't something to hoard.

IF YOU live in a warm climate area only and use a bunch of it-I like these ( cheap and easy to store but no good for the cold)

http://www.dynotab.com/windshield-cleaner/dyno-tab-windscreen-green-25-tab-tube/

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
NOPE, just bought 2 gallons at depot $.98 each.

HAHA Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif
Can't even buy a drum for under $54!
Temporary solution, but I'll stock up. I'll stick them in my deep freeze to test, I've read the -20 rating is a stretch. Worst case it's for the other 3 seasons.

Edit: If these freeze at, for example +25°F, what is the safest thing to use to lower the freezing point? Rubbing alcohol? I wouldn't think so, but have no clue.

I have never had the blue juice rated -20° let me down or freeze up been living and driving the north east my entire life.

Use methanol (wood alcohol). It does not dissolve or hurt paint,cleans well and evaporates. Just put about one part in 3-4 parts water. Use more to get the freezing point lower.

I have made my own de icer and washing fluid in the past,but now a bottle of isopropyl alcohol is over $1 at stores and you can find a whole gallon of the blue stuff for less than $1.25 at most stores wal Mart Hy Vee, Shopko Menards, etc. and sometimes for as low as $1.00 a gallon. Not really cost effective to make your own given that a 20 oz bottle of drug store isopropyl alcohol costs more than a whole gallon of blue juice.

Back