mitsubishi outlander

A co-worked had two last I knew. They had one with over 200k on it, and were so satisfied with it they bought another and kept the first one as a second vehicle.

Here in the KC metro there are 3 dealers, one is a long time dealer up north I guess they are okay but they are a large dealer that holds a lot of off shoot dealerships (like Alfa, Fiat and a stand alone Lincoln dealership). My one contact with them over Lincoln left me "meh". Another is brand new, they are a long time used dealer in the area with a sparkling reputation that has recently acquired two new car dealerships, a KIA store and now Mitsubishi. The last is the worst dealership in town, they are simply awful and have actually had multiple manufacturers dump them, they finally got signed on with Mitsubishi and have been with them about 5-7 years.

My daughter in laws mother has a 17 Outlander purchased from Carmax at about 1 year old. She likes it and has had no trouble to speak of other than her drunken husband wrecking it and tearing off the front clip.

I have considered an Outlander for my wife, she wants an SUV next time around (which automatically senselessly adds 5-10k to the price) but I have found nearly new Outlanders priced in the teens, which is where I would like to be for her vehicle.

It will come down to what kind of dealer support you have in your area.

Another consideration is the engine. The 2.4 four banger is barely enough to get it out of its own way. The 3.0 V6 is the better option but you have to get the GT trim to get that. The fuel economy is pretty close to the four cylinder interestingly enough. The rest of the vehicle is well proven albeit dated but all the goodies are there, especially on the GT trim. The AWD system is pretty good.

On my 3rd mitsubishi currently. Wife had an 07 outlander, put 100k on it before trade in, never saw a dealer. I owned a '11 lancer, drove it 160k only had 1 issue, rear wheel bearing I changed myself around 110k miles-traded it in on '18 outlander sel which I love. Only thing about Mitsubishi is they are not inspiring, usually simple interiors, etc. For me, I want a reliable vehicle that gets me from A to B with minimal investment. My previous 2 gave me that and so far this '18 outlander does too.

I love my Outlander, and whats nice with Mitsu is the warranty when you buy use. When I bought my pre owned 2019 , the warranty was longer than if I would have bought and FCA a toyota a Mazda etc etc new !! They are not hummmm inspiring but they are reliable, with an excellent 4x4 system , IMHO a very good value for the money

Why?!??
We thought we wanted one until we test drove one. Unimpressive. Terrible seats. Very little discount. Jatco CVT.
why would you want one?

Why?!??
We thought we wanted one until we test drove one. Unimpressive. Terrible seats. Very little discount. Jatco CVT.
why would you want one?
because many dealers still lease to anything that breathes, so really an alternative to nissan’s equally crappy crapboxes. back in 2000s they were the financing KINGS, 0-0-0 on a brand new evo was simply unbeatable

Last edited:
I have sometime left on my lease.. My choices would be

Rogue sport, encore gx, eclipse cross..

I have "one" Mitsubishi dealer near me 30 mins away it does scare me to buy a Mitsubishi not because they aren't good cars but the possibility of Mitsubishi going out like Suzuki.

Mitsubishi is on its last legs in the USA. In many areas dealerships are few and far between. The one in our town shut down earlier this year and left lots of folks stranded concerning warranty work. I would not considering owning one under any circumstances.

Have two Sports 14 models
Totally reliable.
Just sold one 5 weeks ago got $10,600 for it. Too much nonsense about Mitsubishi mostly by non owners.
I would buy an Outlander tomorrow if I didn't need a truck.

Only downside to Mitsubishi is the brand is swirling the toilet in the US market and I would not be incredibly shocked if they disappeared in the next couple years like Suzuki, Isuzu, Saab, Daewoo.

Went from fastest growing Japanese make back in early 2000's to struggling to survive. They are the auto version of a cat with 9 lives that keeps on keeping on somehow.

mitsu has a fine reputation in southeast asia but its staying power in the u.s. market is unclear. too bad. same with suzuki.

disappeared in the next couple years like Suzuki, Isuzu, Saab, Daewoo.

With the exception of Saab, all those names were rebadged by GM in the US, no wonder they have no following. Chrysler did the same thing to Mitsubishi. I think it's a case of if you don't want your name to sink without trace, don't let another company rebadge your product.

With the exception of Saab, all those names were rebadged by GM in the US, no wonder they have no following. Chrysler did the same thing to Mitsubishi. I think it's a case of if you don't want your name to sink without trace, don't let another company rebadge your product.
Saab sold rebadges of the Impreza and the Trailblazer. The rest of their lineup was of course throughly rehashed GM products.

I know someone who will only drive Mitsubishis. They lease for 3 years and then turn it in for another one. They absolutely love them and never have any issues whatsoever with them.

Also, there’s are more than small chance Mitsubishi will abandon the US market entirely. That would trash resale values, complicate warranty and service issues, etc.

I have a '14 Outlander AWD with the 3.0 V6. Bought it new from a dealer near me, which is still there. I have had zero issues with the car and it serves me well. To be fair. some of the complaints mentioned in this thread are valid;

It isn't as well made as a Toyonda for sure
Gas mileage is ok ~26/27 highway, not stellar
It likes premium gas
If it is an issue, has little cachet with the Land Rover crowd
Dealer network is sparse
Resale might be an issue for some

OTOH;
It was a bargain
Has 10 year warranty
Is reasonably comfortable and quiet
Is paid for

Generally I don't give much credence to what auto journalists say. Years after the purchase what matters is the individual owner's experience. Mine has been positive. Excessive carping about mostly insignificant things will keep any owner from enjoying his vehicle. My motto is 'if you get 90% of what you wanted, be happy'.

Like Mitsubishi this thread keeps coming back from near death. St Louis which I referenced as having no dealers now has a former Honda used car lot. When I checked their site a month or so ago it was full of bait for the almost broke plus a huge assortment of VW diesel buybacks. References to great cars from Mitsu past are right on. My Colt Vista was very nice for the eighties. Diamante sp? was a high class car a generation ago.

The local Mitsu dealer which closed recently was part of a large, local dealership chain. An ex-employee, now transferred to a Subie store told me that Nissan buy-in was the final straw.

That Nissan buy-in was a big coup. Nissan was the one who reported on Mitsubishi regarding their fuel economy numbers scandal. The stock share price plummeted and Nissan swooped in and bought it.

The scandal involved the Mitsubishi Kei cars which are hugely popular in Japan. Sales disappeared overnight on that news.

Back