Mitsubishi Oil Filters

Purchased Mitsubishi Oil Filter No. MQ718353 for a 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander. Ordered directly from a Mitsubishi Dealer. The box has the correct number and says Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Parts, MQ718353, Made in Japan. Inside the box the filter found says Nissan Genuine Parts, Oil Filter, 15208 65F1B, Mahle, Made in Japan. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 87
Cut open video of a very similar filter, only 1 digit off with the part number. Whip City Wrencher didn’t have many negative comments on it.

The Mahle filters louvers were never open enough for my liking. I have a couple here - Nissan branded - one I bought like 10 years ago, one I bought a year ago - both same issue. Both are from Mexico, so maybe the Japanese ones are better?

Someone switched it either accidentally or intentionally.

Filters looks like a short version of the Honda Mahle Tennex filter, which is a nice filter.

What's the common number for the mitsu filter and is it the same as a nissan.
At my work all new Mitsubishis have the above filter installed. Strange days but it’s real.

Purchased Mitsubishi Oil Filter No. MQ718353 for a 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander. Ordered directly from a Mitsubishi Dealer. The box has the correct number and says Mitsubishi Motors Genuine Parts, MQ718353, Made in Japan. Inside the box the filter found says Nissan Genuine Parts, Oil Filter, 15208 65F1B, Mahle, Made in Japan. Any thoughts?
Do you happen to know the efficiency on these filters?
We have a 2018 V6 and 2023 PHEV Outlander

Do you happen to know the efficiency on these filters?
We have a 2018 V6 and 2023 PHEV Outlander
I do not have any information on the efficiency of these filters. Unfortunately, it appears that these filters, which are also Nissan filters, do not publish much information regarding the matter. I used to be very concerned about efficiency rate years ago but after watching professional mechanics recommending OEM filters over after market ones, I do not worry much. I rather use the OEM filters which are specifically made for the vehicle you own. I have seen videos showing Toyota vehicles, for example, that have only used OEM filters, which are not well known for their efficiency, and yet those engines last 300,000 miles or more. The Mitsubishi filters are made in Japan and appear to be well constructed. They have small holes in the inner core instead of louvers which I, and others, prefer as there is no concern as with louvers which may not all be fully open. Also, if your car is under warranty, I believe it is better to use OEM filters to avoid any potential issues with a warranty claim. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I do not have any information on the efficiency of these filters. Unfortunately, it appears that these filters, which are also Nissan filters, do not publish much information regarding the matter. I used to be very concerned about efficiency rate years ago but after watching professional mechanics recommending OEM filters over after market ones, I do not worry much. I rather use the OEM filters which are specifically made for the vehicle you own. I have seen videos showing Toyota vehicles, for example, that have only used OEM filters, which are not well known for their efficiency, and yet those engines last 300,000 miles or more. The Mitsubishi filters are made in Japan and appear to be well constructed. They have small holes in the inner core instead of louvers which I, and others, prefer as there is no concern as with louvers which may not all be fully open. Also, if your car is under warranty, I believe it is better to use OEM filters to avoid any potential issues with a warranty claim. Hope this helps.
That's the confusing thing... There are so many supporting sources that are for and against oem filters. I always read that the filter construction, flow etc is good. But filtration efficiency is terrible, and can contribute to long term wear.

That's the confusing thing... There are so many supporting sources that are for and against oem filters. I always read that the filter construction, flow etc is good. But filtration efficiency is terrible, and can contribute to long term wear.
You are correct about how confusing it can be trying to decide on OEM oil filters versus aftermarket ones. It appears that car manufacturers are more concerned with flow and bypass valve setting than with filtration rate. Frankly, you will be fine either way. The most important thing is changing your oil regularly. Professional mechanics usually recommend changing every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first, regardless of oil and filter used.

You are correct about how confusing it can be trying to decide on OEM oil filters versus aftermarket ones. It appears that car manufacturers are more concerned with flow and bypass valve setting than with filtration rate. Frankly, you will be fine either way. The most important thing is changing your oil regularly. Professional mechanics usually recommend changing every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first, regardless of oil and filter used.
When I used to have a 2009 Prius, I ran OEM Toyota filters for a few years, simply because Amsoil did not have their EA versions yet. What I noticed consistently was that 4,000km into every oil change even using Amsoil SS oil, the sound of the engine would change. The sound "pitch" would change. When I finally was able to use a better filter, the pitch never surfaced even going 8,000km +
In my opinion I attribute this pitch to the slow build up of fine particulate that the OEM can't filter.
In this Mitsu situation, I might stick with OEM for the year of free oil changes, then upgrade to better after. As I want to do 2 changes a year, which would range 8,000km-12,000km per change. I don't believe in super long OCI's, especially with our brutally cold winters we have here.

Many people prefer upgraded oil filters due to better filtration and in some cases better construction. Here in the USA it is apparently illegal to deny warranty service for using a filter other than OEM. Besides, it would seem very rare to encounter an engine issue due to using an upgraded oil filter, particularly a well known brand. Many of us simply use OEM filters during warranty period to avoid any potential problems in case warranty service is needed. I personally have never noticed a difference using OEM vs. aftermarket. We only use OEM in our 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL and our Mazda CX-5, CX-9, and Mazda3. They seem well constructed and have holes in inner core rather than louvers which I prefer. But they may not be as good as others regarding filtration.

Back