Mitsubishi AT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
my manual states that for the AT, "Dia ATF SP or Mitsubishi Plus ATF or equivalent" should be used.

the PS says "Mitsubishi Plus ATF/ Automatic Transmission Fluid Dexron or Dexron II"

Can i run Dexron III in both?
What is the equivalent of Mitsubishi Plus ATF (for the tranny...and can i run it in the PS?)

Don't use anything other than the Diamond III fluid. I am sure this is a thread covered multiple times here and in other forums - mitsubishiforums.com.

Go to Kia or Hyundai and save a few bucks on the Diamond III like I do, it's a little cheaper there. I would not use anything else.

As far as PS fluid, I recommend the Valvoline SynPower blend. I use it in my 2003 Montero LTD. Just use a syringe or turkey baster to replace whats in the resevior every 6 mos and you should be ok.

Jack

Is is an older vehicle? If it specs Dexron II, feel free to use DexronIII. The older transmissions are not programmed for slip controlled TC lockup or gear shifts. They aren't forced to use the newer SPIII fluid. But, shift quality can be mildly adjusted with fluid HFM level.

Prior to the 'SP' ATFs, the Mitsu fluid was equivalent to Chrysler ATF+. The Chrysler ATF+ was replaced with ATF+2, which was replaced with ATF+3, which was replaced with ATF+4. The similar Mitsu spec includes DexronII, Plus, SP, SPII, and now SPIII.

I find that the multivehicle ATFs like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Kendall, and Castrol also work well. These are usually synthetic blends.

So, you have plenty of options. If this is a high mileage transmission, Maxlife would be my 1st choice. And, its not too expensive either!

If its an upgraded rebuild, I'd probably invest in ATF+4 now that its available in multiple brands.

Your location would benefit from the blend/full synth ATFs during the winter.

cool...thanks, as always.

first, i'm going to run some LubeGard and see how she shifts....

Last edited:
my manual states that for the AT, "Dia ATF SP or Mitsubishi Plus ATF or equivalent" should be used.

so, i shouldn't be running Dexron III in my tranny, correct???

DexIII would be the equivalent since those 'old' specs were nothing special.

Quote:

DexIII would be the equivalent since those 'old' specs were nothing special.

you spoke so much about the ATF+ fluids above....but Dexron III would cover my tranny and PS??

thanks for the patience and advice, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back