Mist Lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a cool book in the for sale pile at the Lib. the other day on mist lube...looks mostly like big industrial apps....lemme finish reading the book first...geesh, some guys
grin.gif

On automotive applications you find it in the valve train area on new designs that use alot of OHC's. You also find it in the lower end squirting oil on the under side of the piston.

I think you see large scale oil misting used on large diesels used on large ocean going vesels.

quote:

Found a cool book in the for sale pile at the Lib. the other day on mist lube...looks mostly like big industrial apps....lemme finish reading the book first...geesh, some guys

Hurry up Pablo, there are other people wanting to use the mensroom.
grin.gif
shocked.gif
nono.gif

Eatons Superchargers are supposed to use mist lubrication to lubricate the front bearings. This reqires a special SC oil, that runs about $8 for an 8 ounce bottle. This seems to be something very little people know, and many factory superchargers have died from people not checking the oil level or using the wrong oil.

-T

Hint: Regarding mist oil qualities, think in terms of what the oil must or should do (other than lubricate) after it has misted.

in an automotive or lawnmower engine, this would be more of a splash lube for the top end of a auto engine, or the entire lubrication system of a mower engine.

i would have to guess a mist lube would be used in some sort of total loss sustem. perhaps one of those large diesels that are designed to consume oil?

Mist is an air-oil emulsion, so I guess the oil should de-emulsify properly after misting, and not retain any air bubbles.

I think the Honda 50 minibike motor used oil mist for the head.

I think everyone had good answers but Oilyriser was closest.

Misting requires that small oil droplets (created by pressurized air) be directed or sprayed on bearings, etc for lubrication and cooling. Usually used for areas not pressurized by oil or for difficult-to-lubricate locations.

The misted oil should come out of mist as soon as possible and reform as bulk oil. A small amount of of high quality VII will help the oil to do this. Misted oil is not good for breathing, so the misted oil must be contained in a closed vessel or properly shielded area.

Sorry I, uh, "MIST" this one.
smile.gif

In the refinery where I work, several units utilize oil mist systems to lubricate pump & turbine bearing housings. The unit I currently work on dedicates about 9 & a half pages in the unit manual to the description, operation & maintenance of our oil mist system.
They seem to be very reliable systems while doing a good job lubricating the bearings.

Les

Oil mist lubrication systems utilize a fog made up of small oil droplets carried in a high velocity air stream. The lubrication fog is formed inside the oil mist generator cabinet and is transmitted through a piping system to the individual pieces of rotating equipment. The amount of mist allowed to enter each lubrication point is regulated by a condenser fitting. A condenser fitting is an orifice plug installed on the housing of the bearing or gearbox serviced by the oil mist system.
Major components of the oil mist system are:

A lube oil tank with an air-driven pump.
An oil mist assembly unit consisting of an oil mist generator, oil reservoir, oil and air heaters, oil and air pressure regulators, pressure gauges, thermometers, alarm pickups, and electric wiring circuits and warning lights.
Mist supply piping and tubing.
Mist condenser fittings.

The air temp is about 130°F & the oil temp is about 110°F. Lube oil used is industrial no. 68.

There is a "pure mist" that is used with a dry sump system and a "purge mist" that is used with wet sump system.

Hope this helps some.
Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back