Mirage vs... Phaeton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Phaeton is an awesome car, truly a proper engineering push. It served as a test bed for the Bentley Continental.(which is a [censored] Bentley but that's another thread)

The other thing is simply an economic penalty box on wheels. Every once in awhile when I'm in a less developed country I get one as a rental and they remind me of how much I love that I don't have to live with such things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
$61k for a Caprice?

new cars are REALLY expensive down under.
Metric money?

Why they didn't sell the Phaeton as Audi "9" for $100k is beyond me.

Because they sold it as a $200K Bentley Continental GT. That was the whole point of this project. Badge engineering.

Phaeton if it's a hobby and have access to spares/a garage/$$$$ to keep it up. Otherwise I'd be all over that Mirage. During the time I'd likely have either, the Mirage would be probably a lot cheaper and easier to fix given how it's designed to survive rougher conditions than it'll likely find here.

One positive about "world" cars imported to the US: Conditions here are still better than the worst those cars are designed to endure, so they should be a better buy for the "buy and hold" car buyer/owner.

They are made to be serviced by mechanics in random 3rd world countries too.

Mirage does not have any resale value. I will probably be able to pick one up in 2 or 3 years for $5K without too many miles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
No one could get by the VW label no matter how good the car might be.

We see similar today, I think, as Hyundai spins off the "Genesis" model into its own brand.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-hyundai-genesis-brand-targets-lexus-infiniti.html

I think they found the Hyundai brand name doesn't trade so well in luxury circles, and I think it's smart to roll the current Genesis and Equus vehicles into a new luxury brand. Whether or not that new brand will sell, I don't know.

Its funny how the public is.

Phaeton with VW on it was a flop.
Slap the Audi rings on the same car and it would have been a success!

We the car buying public have created a glass ceiling per brand. We will not accept a 50K Toyota, but we will if it carries a Lexus logo on it.....strange really!

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
We the car buying public have created a glass ceiling per brand. We will not accept a 50K Toyota, but we will if it carries a Lexus logo on it.....strange really!

Great observation. This glass ceiling does seem to vary by vehicle type. Ford can pretty easily sell $50k F-150s, but they can't sell a $50k car unless it wears a Lincoln badge.

Yet we accept the Land Cruiser. A friend of mine in HS got one of them new his Junior year. It was like a $50-60k truck back then!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'll take the Mirage.

My parents had various versions of this car, including a plymouth Champ, a dodge colt vista and a dodge colt.

Essentially commuter beaters that they drove until rust or whatever took them out.

All did well and were low cost to acquire and operate. No frills, but a commuter car like that allows one to allocate money elsewhere which has paid off handily in the long run.

Likely more millionaires drive junky econoboxes than Phaetons.

I know a few people - who aren't millionaires - that have money and they drive conservative 10-15 year old not-luxury cars and often shop at thrift stores for clothes.

They don't live a crazy expensive lifestyle and don't have a care in the world when it comes to money.

I don't know if I'll ever have money, but I don't really want fancy things so I'm good!

That's how the rich stay rich for a long time. They'll spend money on certain things, but a lot of them won't buy a more expensive version of something just for the status when the cheaper one is enough to make them happy.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I don't know if I'll ever have money, but I don't really want fancy things so I'm good!

Made me think of a saying I once read, "There are two ways to be rich, have a lot of money, or have few wants."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Because they sold it as a $200K Bentley Continental GT. That was the whole point of this project. Badge engineering.

I was under the impression they made it a VW because they were trying to put the development costs on VW's books, not Bentley. Bentley is very good at not making money, VW is.

If they were just tying to make a big VW they could have given an A8 a nose job.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I was under the impression they made it a VW because they were trying to put the development costs on VW's books, not Bentley. Bentley is very good at not making money, VW is.

Yup. That was essentially the deal, from what I understood. They didn't want to stick Bentley subsidiary with a huge R&D bill.

Its funny how the public is.

Phaeton with VW on it was a flop.
Slap the Audi rings on the same car and it would have been a success!

More like stupid. For many years, the only difference between the Camry XLE V6 and the Lexus ES300 was the badge and about $4000!

It's actually amazing how little the Phaeton and A8 have in common. Beyond the drivetrain, it's basically nothing. The A8 is a 4400-ish lb aluminum thing, the Phaeton is over 5000 lbs and all steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back