Minor damage on glass cooktop. Opinions?

We have this minor damage on a glass cooktop that has been used well 10+ years. Minor pitting in the glass surface.

My question is: Is it inevitable this will crack, or just stay the same?

I am guessing it’s hydraulic damage/erosion from a small chip(s) that then were expanded from steam as trapped water vaporized. Just a guess. Main point is if I should pro-actively change the cooktop to avoid inevitable cracking, or just live with it. The cooktop IRL looks good, the camera angle and some cleaning compound on the surface just highlights all the fine scratches not normally visible.

6B62F0FB-8357-42B3-9623-8031F03C51E6.jpeg

6C3F4DF9-8D5E-4A9F-AF93-147FED70C1F2.jpeg

At the old house we had one that looked like that for 2 years. I finally upgraded. I found if I used the correct cook top cleaner it looked better and was better protected.

I would keep using it until it quits and buy a new one.

That is for sure what I would do, but this is at my parents’ house. My mom will have a cow if it actually cracks and the drama will be unending. I meant to add that for context…. ;)

That is for sure what I would do, but this is at my parents’ house. My mom will have a cow if it actually cracks and the drama will be unending. I meant to add that for context…. ;)

If it cracks move up to an induction range.

^ This. The glass is compromised as any glass panel would be. It now becomes the weakest part of your glass top and not to be trusted around you or family. My opinion.

I would start shopping now. Damaged cooktops can "explode" if damaged enough. Now, hard to say just from pictures so I can't say if it's an immediate fail or not.

Reactions: hrv
Use it till it quits and buy a gas one.

While a good suggestion, a good portion of us do not have access to natural gas. Propane is an option but the setup cost can be astronomical. I recently priced out converting my home to propane and propane accessories and the cost just about made me jump outta my seat just for tank installation and drops, no new appliances.

While a good suggestion, a good portion of us do not have access to natural gas. Propane is an option but the setup cost can be astronomical. I recently priced out converting my home to propane and propane accessories and the cost just about made me jump outta my seat just for tank installation and drops, no new appliances.
Yes propane is expensive. I only use it for emergency backup heat, so most years it only gets used to make sure it still works.
My wife said she wanted a gas stove so I bought 2 hundred pounds propane cylinders with some propane in them at an auction for $100 each, then she changed her mind and said the glass top we currently have, that looks just like yours is fine....
I wouldn't recommend propane for primary heating, don't recommend for water heating unless you get a lot of power outages, Propane fuelled dryers cost about as much as electric, but propane fuelled ranges are worth it imo.

There is propane at the house; they use it for a converted wood stove and the water heater, we also plumbed it to the outside grill.

This is WA and the government has basically declared war on propane, so future fuel costs will always be skewed against it. I like the idea a lot but will have to think.

I was taking my father to look at a used Mercedes today, maybe we will have to scale back our car $$ and include some stove $$ in the budget. ;)

ETA: I appreciate all the comments and feedback. As always, this forum is an excellent sounding board and advice center for a lot of topics.

Last edited:
Back