Minimum Air Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the minimum air pressure I could run in Michelin HydroEdge 215/70R15 tires? The reason I ask is because the city streets around here are tore up pretty bad and I want to save my suspension components as much as possible. I imagine the lower control arm bushings are taking a beating. I've been running the recommended 33 psi that's on the door sticker. Do you think I could get away with 30 psi without stressing the sidewalls too much?

Hate to irrupt into your posts, dudes! I own an '04 350Z---a flawless monZter!---which is supposed to get 35 lbs psi, but the roads down here are like the moon surface, so I'm wondering if I could also get away with 28/30 lbs in my Good Year Regattas (18-inchers)??? Thanks in advance for your opinion(s)!!!

for the 70 aspect tires, likely yes but it is also surely load and speed dependent. My 81 and 82 MB is rated 28/32 on 195/70R14 tires, but it says to add 4psi if the car is filled with people and 6 psi if traveling over 100MPH for any amount of time.

As for the 350z with GY regatta tires, what is the actual tire size? Seems like a funny tire for a 350Z.

You're absolutely correct, old buddy! They're P215/55R17 (front).
I got 55s 'cause speed bumps kept scratching the underside of my baby, so I elevated it a bit with that "aspect radio" size of 55; it no longer rubs against curbs, speed bumps, etc. I'm 62, so speeding isn't a problem with me; I obey speed limits and haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet.
So, back to square one: Can I get away with 28-30 lbs psi on my front tires (how 'bout rear ones???---which are a bit wider unidirectionals???). Thank you kind!

“Minimum tire air pressure for bad roads”; are you sure about that ? I live in Michigan where the roads are worse than any 3rd world country I have visited. I have found that if I over inflate my tires it will protect my alloy rims from pot hole damage. Spending $500 for a damaged rim is what my co-worker with the same vehicle does a couple of times per pothole/spring. I sacrifice ride quality for rim preservation. It's your car you decide...

Underinflation will probably wear out the outside edges of your tires much more quickly, but will cushion the ride somewhat. If you go too low on the psi though you can, as eljefino said, get pinch flats or lose air from the tires around corners. Plus your handling will degrade.

Start with the door sticker and adjust no more than 1 pound at a time. Assess the change in ride height/quality. Adjust no more than 1 pound at a time,if safe. The Goodyear Comfort Treads ride softer than the Michelins,in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back