Mini-split sizing

I wasn't clear. He did not say oversizing it by 3000 would make it short cycle. He did say if it's oversized it will short cycle and won't dehumidify properly. He did think 18-24 was way too much and says he has several 9Kbtu units in similar spaces that work great.
Mini-splits don't short cycle. They run at the speed required to keep the temp where you want it. If it was 3k over, it would just run slower. You can't hear them anyway. Get somebody who has done a lot of Mini-splits. I found many here in FL that didn't know what they were talking about.

I'm not really going to hold him too tight to semantics ... maybe short cycle wasn't the word to use, but in the context of what he was saying it is consistent with what has been posted here. (too big won't run enough to dehumidify)

I'm thinking maybe of asking him to do 12 in the sunroom and 18 in the basement, anyone want to talk me out of it?

Update:

So the sunroom is still not finished, Pella seems to lack urgency in delivery of windows but that is another story.

Apparently there were revisions made because the unit installed in the sunroom is a 12K BTU, the basement room got the 24K. I was actually out of town when they were installed.

I've been running the inside unit for a few days just to see how it performs and it has brought the humidity in the room way down from 80+ to 50ish. it manages to keep the temp stable down there as well.

Assuming the outside unit performs well I will be happy and these were less than either the GREE or Mitsu units.

Back