Mineral oil in Volvo Penta 5.0 GXIE-P , V8 ?

I would appreciate some feed-back from You guys.
My mechanic recently changed the oil and the filter. I have always used Volvo Penta 5W-30 Synthetic oil.
However they have now used Valvoline All-Fleet Extra 15W-40 which according to my understanding is a mineral oil, primarily for diesel engines.
I have no problems with not using the VP-engine oil > BUT it is a 15W-40 and a mineral oil.
During break-in I used a mineral oil for the first 25-30 hours.
Engine has some 150 hours on the clock and is a model year 2011with no catalytic converter
Service manual says: If the Volvo Penta oil is not available use a high quality oil that meets API SM -Viscosity should be 5W-30 or higher example 10W-30, 10W-40 15W-50 > What are Your thoughts ?
( My guy says it is OK to use this oil since it is approved according to Volvo VDS 3 ) But this is not a diesel engine - it is a V8 gasoline engine....
Many thanks in advance for any input

often ran 15w40 conventional in my boat never an issue with the engine , also used quite a bit of quicksilver 25w40 with same results.

I would cruise my boat at 3600 to 3800 rpm for hours on end and i always thought this as severe as service you could get , i just felt better using a heavier weight oil , did it benefit the engine who knows ?? as i never had oil analysis done .

Last edited:
A 15w40 HDEO is a great choice for your 305 SBC. Countless people have been running 15w40 HDEO in marine applications for years (myself included), rest easy.

15W-40 HDEO oils are some of the best formulated oils on the market. What does the not being a diesel have to do with the oil? I would run and when I had a boat would run 15W-40 HDEO oils . I would say the 15W-40 oil is better that the 5W-30 syn oils.

15W-40 HDEO oils are some of the best formulated oils on the market. What does the not being a diesel have to do with the oil? I would run and when I had a boat would run 15W-40 HDEO oils . I would say the 15W-40 oil is better that the 5W-30 syn oils.
Many thanks for your input - As to your question : I was under the impression that a gasoline engine has a higher working temperature ( especially in a boat / marine application with high revs ) and a " diesel oil" has additives more related to" taking care of soot particles" etc. which are not that relevant ...
Or is this perhaps a " cultural " question ? In Europe the absolute majority of all newer engines are run on full syn-olls.
I find your statement " a 15W-40 oil is better than the 5W-30 syn oils " interesting. Could you clarify - Many thanks in advance for your time.
best regards

Many thanks for your input - As to your question : I was under the impression that a gasoline engine has a higher working temperature ( especially in a boat / marine application with high revs ) and a " diesel oil" has additives more related to" taking care of soot particles" etc. which are not that relevant ...
Or is this perhaps a " cultural " question ? In Europe the absolute majority of all newer engines are run on full syn-olls.
I find your statement " a 15W-40 oil is better than the 5W-30 syn oils " interesting. Could you clarify - Many thanks in advance for your time.
best regards
There are many "diesel" oils that are rated for dual use in gasoline engines as well, Valvoline All Fleet being one of them. In fact, that oil was formulated to be a one stop shop for fleets using a both gas a diesel power. Many fleets use this oil in the Ford Triton engines (normally rated for 5w20) with excellent results. I think it is a good, safe choice for your small block VP.

Well wouldn't be concerned if I was the OP but the oil that was put in his engine is diesel rated oil only not like many typical diesel oils that carry the API for gas and diesel.
You can follow the engine makers recommendations or not. I prefer to follow them and use recommended oils.
I do use a Diesel/Gas rated oil in my Volvo boat engine. 15/50 Mystik JT8 fits the manufacturers API for gasoline and not only diesel.

Its not a big deal but we are in an oil forum and most want to do what is best so the fact is the OP is not using the recommended oil, will it matter? Doubt it
Is it the best choice? Doubt it

The OPs assumption that gasoline works at a much higher temperature is incorrect. First diesel combustion takes place at a higher temperature then gasoline and Boat engines without heat exchangers run at much cooler temperatures then a typical car engine. However it is possible that the oil temperatures run higher due to the intense (compared to a vehicle with wheels) stress on the engine of pushing a boat through water.

I had a Volvo Penta red block 2.3 for many years. That Bayliner boat was the best boat I ever had. I used straight 30wt or 10w40. Always ran great and good oil pressure at idle when hot. Your engine is a small block Chevrolet. 15w40 dino is a real good choice. That oil will stand up to the heat and stress from running full throttle. Diesel oil has a higher concentration of additives to protect an engine. Try it and see what you think.

Back