Millions Of Home Routers Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully my Tomato firmware will be patched soon to prevent this exploit, if it isn't already immune to it.

Although it looks like just changing your default router admin password should prevent this from affecting you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hopefully my Tomato firmware will be patched soon to prevent this exploit, if it isn't already immune to it.

I've always presumed, maybe unwisely, that all of the (Linux-based) third party firmwares are immune to these types of attacks.

Also, the attack cannot be fully perpetrated unless and until the hacker gains *access* to the router. Regardless of what firmware you're using or what model router, if a hacker gets into your router's admin, you're in trouble.

This DNS type of attack appears to allow the hacker to clandestinely change where you "go" when typing in certain URL's, which can in turn allow the hacker to direct you to a "paypal" or "yourbank.com" on a fake server and harvest your login credentials.

All of us regular users, though, should remember that attacks like this were discovered and revealed by researchers, and should pose no real-world direct threat to us.

I think I should be ok running DD-WRT, right guys?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

I've always presumed, maybe unwisely, that all of the (Linux-based) third party firmwares are immune to these types of attacks.

Supposedly they tested it on DD-WRT - it was not immune to this exploit.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I think I should be ok running DD-WRT, right guys?
27.gif

Under the "SUCCESSFUL" column, "YES" means that it was successfully exploited.

Code:
Vendor Model H/W Version F/W Version Successful

ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. C 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 YES

ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. D 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 YES

ActionTec GT704-WG N/A 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.9 YES

ActionTec GT701-WG E 3.60.2.0.6.3 YES

Asus WL-520gU N/A N/A YES

Belkin F5D7230-4 2000 4.05.03 YES

Belkin F5D7230-4 6000 N/A NO

Belkin F5D7234-4 N/A 5.00.12 NO

Belkin F5D8233-4v3 3000 3.01.10 NO

Belkin F5D6231-4 1 2.00.002 NO

D-Link DI-524 C1 3.23 NO

D-Link DI-624 N/A 2.50DDM NO

D-Link DIR-628 A2 1.22NA NO

D-Link DIR-320 A1 1 NO

D-Link DIR-655 A1 1.30EA NO

DD-WRT N/A N/A v24 YES

Dell TrueMobile 2300 N/A 5.1.1.6 YES

Linksys BEFW11S4 1 1.37.2 YES

Linksys BEFSR41 4.3 2.00.02 YES

Linksys WRT54G3G-ST N/A N/A YES

Linksys WRT54G2 N/A N/A NO

Linksys WRT160N 1.1 1.02.2 YES

Linksys WRT54G 3 3.03.9 YES

Linksys WRT54G 5 1.00.4 NO

Linksys WRT54GL N/A N/A YES

Netgear WGR614 9 N/A NO

Netgear WNR834B 2 2.1.13_2.1.13NA NO

OpenWRT N/A N/A Kamikaze r16206 YES

PFSense N/A N/A 1.2.3-RC3 YES

Thomson ST585 6sl 6.2.2.29.2 YES

Even though my Router there isn't listed?

DD-WRT is listed; which would apply to all routers running that particular firmware, I think.

I'm sure the DD-WRT folks will be quick to patch it up.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Go D-Link DIR-655!
You mean there is a D-LINK that isn't DOA or lasts longer than a month?

I hate that company...

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Go D-Link DIR-655!
You mean there is a D-LINK that isn't DOA or lasts longer than a month?

I hate that company...

I've had my current D-Link for almost 6 years. First had problems within the 30 days after I bought (A1 version, IIRC), its warranty replacement (C1 version) is still working fine.

Last edited:
my linskys wrt 160N is on there. I'm running version 1.02.2, WPA2 with my own password and mac filtered for only my 2 wifi pcs. anything I can do? will firmware update stop hack?

Last edited:
All the D-LINK's I have had have gone bad within the first 30 days or first year. I have had countless DOA's and RMA's and I finally gave up on that brand and went with Linksys and then ASUS.

I have updated oem FW (latest) and my own PW for the router interface (WRT54GL Linksys), but security is still WEP...hope that's enough...i know WEP is old, and have been wanting to change to WPA or WPA2 personal...

right now, with WEP i don't have to have a passkey to get on the internet through my router...it "knows" our 2 laptops.
If I change it to WPA2 personal, will it still "know" our laptops automatically when we try to connect?
if not, how would I change it so that our laptops can get on the 'net without putting in the Password/key every time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

If I change it to WPA2 personal, will it still "know" our laptops automatically when we try to connect?

Sure. You only need to put in the password once into each PC/laptop. After that, it'll log you into the network automatically every time you reconnect.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Sure. You only need to put in the password once into each PC/laptop. After that, it'll log you into the network automatically every time you reconnect.

you mean we just have to log once into the wireless network?

Do i have also to do/change anything in the following window on XP? (after i have changed security settings to WPA2 in the router, of course)
i mean, do I have to go network properties on xp and change everything to WPA2 personal etc etc and put in the password/key, or does it all change automatically after I log in to wireless network once ?

This is what it looks like now..

wep.jpg

Last edited:
you mean we just have to log once into the wireless network?

You log into the wireless network every time you power up your PC. But you provide the password only the first time. All subsequent times it logs itself on without asking for password again.

Quote:

Do i have also to do/change anything in the following window on XP? (after i have changed security settings to WPA2 in the router, of course)
i mean, do I have to go network properties on xp and change everything to WPA2 personal etc etc and put in the password/key,

Yes, you do.

In my router, I have the security set to "WPA/WPA2 Personal", and encryption set to "TKIP/AES". This ensures backward compatibility with devices that don't support AES encryption.

In my netbook, the settings are as follows:

wireless_settings.png

There are probably other ways to do it, too.

Definetly change to WPA if at all possible. Preferably the WPA2/AES but even WPA/TKIP is better. WEP can be cracked in a matter of minutes. It shouldnt even be an option anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back