million mile accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, you mean just because one owner out of the nearly millions managed to keep one running for an exeptionally long time they won't all will? How can that be?

I think those cars were OK but I wouldn't say they were low maintenance. This guy most of spent a lot of his free time maintaining it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That, and the generation after, are my favorite Accords ever. So rock solid.

I've got a 1995, it's only got 217,000 but I agree it is one of the best generations, the dual air bags and the lack of motorized belts really made it more like a modern car. Still has the rolling odometer though. The next generation is pretty nice too (1998-2002) cheap now and will last a long time.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
What, you mean just because one owner out of the nearly millions managed to keep one running for an exeptionally long time they won't all will? How can that be?

I think those cars were OK but I wouldn't say they were low maintenance. This guy most of spent a lot of his free time maintaining it.

Yes he did, he was a tech and you can tell he maintained it. Probably why the wife wasn't too happy. I would bet he has a warm water wash set up at his house and he washes the salt off every day in the winter. If he hadn't washed that lip around the back wheelwell there would be rust. Almost every 90s honda I see here has rust there. Mine doesn't because it was in NC for a long time and I rinse the wheelwells every time it gets above 50 degrees in the winter. But eventually mine will rust too. And all the 80s accords are gone here, they have rusted off the road.

Last edited:
Finally, I don't believe his auto trans hasn't been rebuilt. I can accept that the engine hasn't been rebuilt although I suspect it's had rings. But an auto trans isn't going to last a million miles without an overhaul.

regardless of whether it's M/T or A/T box, running on highway is the best way to extend the life of them due to less shifting (esp. when you live on flat plains). So, why is it so hard for some of them posters to accept that even A/T box can lead to that kind of long service life?

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
regardless of whether it's M/T or A/T box, running on highway is the best way to extend the life of them due to less shifting (esp. when you live on flat plains). So, why is it so hard for some of them posters to accept that even A/T box can lead to that kind of long service life?

Q.

Because it's a million miles. He is going from claim to claim so it's not all highway miles. But even if it was, I don't believe a 90s honda auto can go 1000000 miles without an overhaul.

Seems impressive but I'm just as impressed with a 20-30 year old car with 200-300k miles than one driven 60k-100k miles a year on the highway. These million milers are always special cases that don't seem all that documented and who knows what all was really done to the car.

Then you would love my 4 Runner...it's seen a lot of hard miles in 22 years; short trips, 4 wheeling, slush, salt water...and with all my deployments, etc. I didn't drive a lot per year...and it has 228K on it now...

Originally Posted By: clearanceman

Q.

Because it's a million miles. He is going from claim to claim so it's not all highway miles. But even if it was, I don't believe a 90s honda auto can go 1000000 miles without an overhaul.

Depends alot on his drive. If it just stays in top gear with the TC locked up 99.9% of the time, I guess its about as reliable as a manual trans used that way.
Before I had to drop my kid off at daycare, my commute one way involved about 30-36 shifts total and locked and unlocked the TC about 8 times. Easy life for a transmission and engine.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: clearanceman

Q.

Depends alot on his drive. If it just stays in top gear with the TC locked up 99.9% of the time, I guess its about as reliable as a manual trans used that way.
Before I had to drop my kid off at daycare, my commute one way involved about 30-36 shifts total and locked and unlocked the TC about 8 times. Easy life for a transmission and engine.

I want to see documented proof that anyone (supposedly other than Joe) has gone 1000000 miles on a transversely mounted FWD automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seems impressive but I'm just as impressed with a 20-30 year old car with 200-300k miles than one driven 60k-100k miles a year on the highway. These million milers are always special cases that don't seem all that documented and who knows what all was really done to the car.

Then you would love my 4 Runner...it's seen a lot of hard miles in 22 years; short trips, 4 wheeling, slush, salt water...and with all my deployments, etc. I didn't drive a lot per year...and it has 228K on it now...

Yes that is as impressive or more to me than the rare ~1 million mile highway queen special case. That's assuming the vehicle isn't a barely running and barely drivable clunker or hasn't had extensive overhauls.

That was probably the best generation of Honda in terms of durability with the following generation being just about as good if not better in some areas.

The most amusing thing about this video is the ..well Maine-ness of it all...oh gosh is that funny to look at the Maine personality and culture those guys are DEFINITELY Mainers in every way.

I'd say this video is almost as much about Maine as it is about Honda.

Last edited:
Mechanicx - The old truck is sitting in the parking lot behind my office. Drive the 4 Runner nearly every day. Over Christmas break, took it from Virginia, to DC, to CT, to VT, back to DC and back here in 10 days...paint is starting to fade, rear bumper is rusty...but everything works/runs as it should...

Many of these high mileage stories fade a bit when you examine the facts. But I surely believe the 4runner, as those things are double tough!

We have a 9200 pound 3500 Savana van with well over 400k miles on the original engine. It does not smoke or knock and uses no oil.

It is all city miles. I believe it is one of the toughest duty cycles imaginable as this van is so heavy many dealers cannot even lift it for service!

My current issue of Motor Trend has an article in it about a guy from Maine who put a million miles on an early 90s Accord. And the motor was original/never opened---! Wrap your head around that. The guy's (an ex honda mechanic) intent was to show that consistent good maintenance can make a vehicle go a long time. Going off the top of my head since I don't have it in front of me, there was 170+ oil changes and 30+ tranny fluid changes etc. I put the calculator to it and the guy did an OC every 5000 miles and an ATF exchange every 30,000 +-. Anyway, I use past tense since the vehicle was obtained by Honda by swapping the guy with a new 2013 Accord. The vehicle was restored cosmetically to near new condition and is in a museum somewhere on the east coast. Funny thing is that there was no mention of brand, weight or type of oil, which I'm sure a lot of industry people would love to know about, especially if it was their brand. Pretty interesting read---and a testament to good solid maintenance.

IIRC he mentioned at some point that the oil he used was his blend which details he for one reason or another did not tell.

It is nice to see that even some modern cars can do impressive miles.

The 1990-1993 Accord is possbily the longest lasting most reliable car ever made. There are millions of them all over the place.

Id have to say the early 1990s camrys, both 4cylinder and the v6 are more or less right with that honda. Same with the SOHC mazda engines from 1980s to mid 1990's. Not too much power, no aftermarket, perfect combo to behave. I enjoyed my 1993 v6 camry from 189k to 265,000 when the rack and pinion went and i had to have a car asap for a trip, I sold as-is. @Finn MB always a really good player as well, but in the states initial ownership for all MB models especially new is higher whereas the hondas in the early 1990s were still perceived an entry level market. The new current accords, not the case by any means, the gap of fully equipped is much smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back