Milkyness??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Toro Wheel Horse 312-8 with Kohler Magnum 12 engine. It has 690 hrs on it and has had HD30 it's entire life. I just switched to a mix of M1 10w-30 and Formula Shell Full-syn 10w-30, mostly because I had the oil hanging around and I needed to use it in something. Also wanted a multi-viscosity since it's getting colder around here. The mix is 2 qts M1, 1/2 qt Shell.

I used the tractor twice since and as I was checking the oil tonight, the oil looked kind of milky with streaks in it. Almost as if there was coolant in it, but this is an air-cooled engine. Could the two oils just not be compatible with each other? I'm a little worried because I want this tractor to last another 40+ years and don't want to replace the engine already.

Have you had the tractor in storage for awhile by chance? It sounds to me like you are seeing a little bit of moisture, possibly from heavy condensation. Usually it burns off when you've been running the engine long enough to get it up to temperature to boil off/evaporate the water.

Originally Posted By: MN Driver
Have you had the tractor in storage for awhile by chance? It sounds to me like you are seeing a little bit of moisture, possibly from heavy condensation. Usually it burns off when you've been running the engine long enough to get it up to temperature to boil off/evaporate the water.

X2.

I had the same problem with the snow blower last winter, not much snow here. A 30 minute run cleared that problem up, its condensation and needs a good long run.

Frank D

Hmm, I didn't give that any thought before because the tractor is usually run for a few hours at full throttle, so it pretty much always gets up to temperature. However, this last time I only used for less than an hour so maybe it didn't get up to full temp. Thanks guys!

An air cooled engine under no load should be easily up to operating temperature in a matter of minutes. I've noticed however that even a hot engine will have a bit of condensation in the dip stick tube. You might be picking up a bit of moisture as you draw the dip stick out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back