Milky oil concerns

I have generation 1 Toyota Tundra with the 4.7 liter engine and relatively low miles for the age. I did an oil change in November using M1 5w30 high mileage full synthetic. The oil I drained looked like typical 11 month old oil, it had 800 miles of use. The oil filter I removed was about 18 months and 1100 miles. The truck runs strong, with no abnormal issues. Probably unrelated but I did recently notice I had a hose disconnect on the top of the engine, causing a puffing noise. Drove that way for maybe 50 miles, until I noticed and reconnected it.

Anyway, today doing some general maintenance, I noticed my oil on the dipstick was at the bottom mark, and my oil cap had a film of milky white on the underside. I looked down into the fill tube and see a little milky oil. This is very upsetting. I was about to go on a long drive. The oil has probably less than 100 miles on it, but it's been all in town and short trips, although it does get to operating temps each time. I have short tripped this truck a bit recently given the cold weather and it's 1 of my winter trucks. We had very cold wet weather here.

2 questions.
1. Since this is my first seeing this, is it safe to attribute it to the very cold wet weather we've had recently. Will this cook off with a nice long highway drive?
2. Unless it's not necessary I'm going to go out now and dump the oil, fill it, dump it again, and change the filter and replace with fresh. Is that a reasonable or prudent plan of action?

Thanks for any sound input, while I go gather my oil change materials and tools.

- Operating temp on the gauge is coolant temp. Oil takes another 15-20 mins to get to its proper operating temp.
- Cold months and short trips always cause extra moisture.
- Short trips in Cold months DO increase oil consumption in some vehicles.

Don't stress out and take it for that long trip. Leave that oil in there. It will burn off all the moisture in the engine and by the end of it oil will be normal dark color. Been there, done that, many times on multiple vehicles, mostly Toyota/Lexus.

Last edited:
It happened all the time in my old Accord when my daughter drove it on short trips to school every day in the winter. Subsequent longer trips did relatively nothing for the mayonnaise in the cap.

I'll check the coolant now. But I will add that this truck is generally very well maintained and up to date on all it's maintenance. Last year, so about 1000 miles ago, it had:
• Coolant flush/fill, • Thermostat, • Timing belt, • Tensioners, • Idler Assembly, • Water pump,
• Serpentine belt, • Fuel filter and fuel pump, • All related seals and gaskets, • Power steering and brakes check/replace, • Inspect shocks/struts, • Inspect lower ball joints and CV boots , and PCV replaced.

I am surprised that you are seeing this milky substance when you say the engine is always brought up to temp. I short trip a lot in the winter and I don't have this problem. If you check the oil level and it's normal, I would take it for a long drive to see if the problem clears up.

I am surprised that you are seeing this milky substance when you say the engine is always brought up to temp. I short trip a lot in the winter and I don't have this problem. If you check the oil level and it's normal, I would take it for a long drive to see if the problem clears up.
Well, apparently the temp gauge is for the coolant, not the engine/oil, so I misunderstood. In that case it has been short tripped a handful of times but only like 5-10 minutes each so probably not up to operating temp for the oil to cook off moisture.

I've just never seen milky oil like this and am really concerned I should just dump the oil and put in fresh. I cannot afford to ruin this truck...

Oil consumption in the cold is often from fuel accumulation in the oil. Sometimes the level will rise and oil passes out the pvc. Then a longer drive will evaporate most of the fuel and the level will be low.

Well, I appreciate everyone's feedback. For the price of some oil, I have peace of mind. I dumped out 7 quarts of honey colored oil, and having seen that decided to leave the new filter on. Wasted $50, but for the peace of mind I'm okay with that. I would have been so angry with myself if I destroyed this really important truck.

I will take it out on the highway for longer trips more. It was just a odd couple years of very little driving.

Back