Midas brakes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a scam when they tell you the pads/shoes are warranted for lifetime. They don't state that your braking system is warrantied. Why do we often read into something that is not stated and then accuse because we didn't brother to read.

My two personal Midas stories, both happening downtown KCMO.
1. My 79 Malibu had to have rear backing plates installed before wheel cylinders ("snap in" design) could be replaced. Drained diffential to do the job. Didn't refill and I found out about it 400 miles later when I had an oil change done elsewhere. Fortunately, no differential damage.
2. Wife thought brakes were an issue on her car. Got the famous Midas "must do complete brake job front and rear" for $429. Went to local Chev dealer for second opinion, left with $40 cleaning and adjustment.

After that, found a good independent mechanic and started using him for 20 yrs.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
It is not a scam when they tell you the pads/shoes are warranted for lifetime. They don't state that your braking system is warrantied. Why do we often read into something that is not stated and then accuse because we didn't brother to read.

It's a scam when they sell an unsuspecting, trusting, or unknowledgeable customer rotors, wheel bearings, and races they don't need, in order to perform the replacement of warrantied parts. Or perhaps a pair of calipers they don't need in order for those warranted replacement shoes to retain their warranty. Or they can't allow the car out of the shop with those rotors. The LT warranty is another shot at making more money. Free replacement pads/shoes cost them nothing. Ask me how I know.

That is why my father and I did 99% of our own work. On a side note, I'm originally from the NY area, perhaps in other parts of the US they're a little more honest. I do my own work so I don't know how it is where I live now.

AD

midas here is a scam unless you know the franchise owner.
i know of 1 good one around here.
i still do my own work.
as for the drum brakes just take your digital camera on the job.
take a few good pics before you pop the first spring.
a basic set of brake tools costs about the same as the labor to have a shop do the job.and you still have them for the next time.paid for themselves on the first job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back