Microsoft Updates - new laptop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new laptop (HP with Windows 8) for Christmas, but am having trouble getting it fully up to speed.

There are 84 Microsoft updates that supposedly need to be downloaded. I have had problems getting them to all load properly, as I have ended up having to do a system restore a couple of times.

I am thinking there may be a bug in one of them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

I have a PC full case tower that I have set up as a dual boot system using Win7 and Win8. Separate disk drives.
Both were fresh installs on new disk and separate drives.
The problem sounds remotely like the problem I had with Win XP. I solved the problem with deleting all temp files in Win Internet Explorer and using a program called CCleaner.(http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)
Not saying this will fix your problem especially since this is Win8 but I personally have not had any problems with installing updates on Win7 or Win8.

There shouldn't be anything on the new computer to interfere. The first thing my new Windows 8 did was load the new updates, prior to me installing anything else.

Maybe the thread-starter here is leaving something out of this.... like a weak internet connection that keeps stopping in-progress updates - wreaking havoc with the correct order in which the updates install?.... I dunno.... just guessing.

I had the same problem setting up Win8 from a new laptop recently. A few reboots showed some progress, but that didn't fix it. Deleting the Windows Update folder structure is what did the trick on it. An old trick, but it works.

Spelled out here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7203320_delete-windows-software_distribution-folder.html

In a nutshell:
stop the Windows update service
delete the folder holding all the updates
restart the service (or reboot if you have the time)

Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back