MicroGreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would, but I'm not going to do it. If someone wants to send me $25 for my 20K filter change, sure.

Since I pretty much redline the car daily I wouldn't be able to tell one form of "screaming uncle" from another.

Before anyone gives me a hard time I'll tell you I have driven all three of my cars since 1980 the same way. None had an engine failure and all had transmissions go well beyond life expectancy. Tires, on the other hand, need to be replaced a bit more frequently due to my driving style. I like to push my cars, learn their limits, and enjoy them. Daily driving around here is certainly the furthest thing from fun.

Firstly, it great that someone is testing this out.

However, I do have a couple of thoughts.

1) A UOA now would give a good indication if the manufacturer claims are true. Advantages are that if the claims are not true, you potentially save your engine and $16 on your third filter if the UOA comes back telling you to change oil. If the claims are true, the UOA would show it now.

2) Although it is less likely, to really test the claims, you would need to run the same oil to 30k miles, with 10k mile freshen ups, with some other filter - I would propose an Amsoil or Fram Ultra. A long life filter *could* become more efficient over time and achieve similar longevity for the oil.

I am all for going out to 30k miles but which one is more wasteful (which I understand is your aim):

a) 1 oil change + 2 top ups + 3 filters

b) 1 to 2 oil changes + 1 to 2 filters*

*Amsoil goes out to 25k miles with an EA filter. M1 EP goes out to 15k miles with an M1 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back