microGreen Filters - 30K OCI - UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: badtlc
That would be a bad assumption. You could still have fuel dilution offset by oxidation. You don't have all the information to make that guess one way or the other.

Blackstone's 0.8 fuel dilution result is wrong then? Me not understanding your statement I guess. Test result said not much fuel dilution.
If you're referring to the 0.5 (small) rise in KV100 at the end, you could say the oxidation was offset by VII breakdown in all likelihood.

blackstone makes no quality measurements of fuel dilution, same for flash point. You can just ignore that info on a blackstone report.

Much appreciation! Keep up the good work. This is the future, folks.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The oil filter size happens to be approximately the same diameter as the OEM Mazda filter for Skyactiv, except it's a bit taller to accommodate the bypass filter assembly.
"Bypass" sounds like a bypass filter (separate) sold by Amsoil and others. In MG filters, all oil goes to the engine; none gets dumped directly to the sump. No extra filter. Readers get confused.

I'd be tempted to put in a little of:
thumbnail_detail_1379931370088_ctx-1.jpg

at some point just to boost acid-fighting, although your lack of varnish is a good sign.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I can't really comment on cold start performance because it doesn't get that cold here and my car is garaged. Never noticed any issues at all with starting.
OK I see, in TX. Cold parts of the country might experience cold flow issues, not sure. Put a sample in the freezer overnight and get an idea how it thickens compared to fresh oil. Please. Pretty-please. In the interest of science and the geeks who read this stuff.

Just wondering why you changed the Microgreen oil filter three times? At the Microgreen website, some links are dead specifically the one about when to change the filter.

When I started the MG program the instructions were clearly stated on the web site.

0 miles - change oil & install MG filter.

10,000 miles - replace MG filter and top off oil.

20,000 miles - replace MG filter and top off oil.

30,000 miles - change oil & install MG filter.

@DBMaster

Thanks!

If you have a working link for those instructions, please post it. Like I mentioned earlier, dead links at Microgreen for what I consider important information.

Last edited:
As you pointed out, the link on the site is dead. But, the instructions that I typed above are exactly what was on the site. I emailed them to let them know the link was dead, though.

OK thanks for the instructions, and letting them know about the dead links. They could be in the process of updating those links, but I think I checked about three weeks ago, and they were dead, and then again when you posted the UOA with the Microgreens.

Just one last question. What was your cost for the three Microgreen filters?

The standard price is $30 for two (that's the way MG sells them). They run promotions periodically, but they never seem to have their site set up properly for you to take advantage of the sales. I paid $20 for two last time. I told them their site was not working right and they directed me to Amazon to buy them. The shipping was still free.

I think they need a new webmaster!

For $10 each they cost about the same as a Fram Ultra. I was paying $7 each for the OEM filters prior to that. The recommended OCI in the owner's manual is 7,500 miles (using 0W-20). I used to run my 89 Accord 10,000 between changes with 10W-30 synthetic and the engine was going strong at 353,000 miles (I wrecked the car in 2012).

Whole point?

I'd also wager that synth-media filters, at the same 10k interval, would perform just as well. Fram, Wix, RoyalPurple, Amsoil.....

OP, are you using the MG201-1? Oversized would be MG301-1. Wonder if the MG internal bypass-element gets larger with filter size.

If there was any issue with fuel dilution, oxidation, nitration.... it could also be seen as excess wear ppm of metals. I don't see it.

Mobil1EP should do great. Do you plan on topping off with Mazda Moly?

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/tbn-booster/
http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_2516.html
http://www.oilextreme.com/oil1.html

or top off oil:
http://www.oilextreme.com/moil1.html

And, to reduce load on filter, use a magnetic drainplug.

MG101-7 is the one for my car. My top off oil is going to be the same M1 EP the first time because I have a half quart remaining in the five quart jug.

Metric 20mm thread, not standard 3/4" ...
Wish that MG would list all their PN's and 'attributes' in a single chart/spreadsheet....

MG201-7 would be a little bit bigger in diameter. But, you'd have to cut used filters apart to see if the media volume was greater in the 201 vs the 101.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Whole point?

I'd also wager that synth-media filters, at the same 10k interval, would perform just as well. Fram, Wix, RoyalPurple, Amsoil......

By "whole point" I meant MicroGreens entire business-marketing model is built on skipping oil changes, only changing the oil filter, til 30k miles.

Those filters you mentioned don't quite get out as small of junk as MG. Not too different though.

If one is concerned about that MG micro-filter part clogging up prior to 10,000 miles, feel free to change at 7,500, especially if you live in a desert dusty environment.

DBMaster, MG says they have a lot of fleet experience. They have been doing this scheme for a while, so sounds safe(?).

Most people would worry about detergency loss, ZDDP breakdown, VII breakdown, the list goes on, all the chemically molecules that make oil work get degraded over 30,000 mile oil changes. Lots of top-off could save the day of course.

I will not be cutting any of them open. I have a nasty tendency to cut myself and I do not have a filter cutter. There are other threads on this forum in which people have cut open MG filters. There is also at least one YouTube video of a dissection. Search "microgreen filter."

We haven't seen particle count comparisons of ANY of the synth filters compared against the microGreen. Marketing is meaningless without proof.

Most highway only drivers and distance commuters can seriously extend their oil changes, without any special filters or oils. Plenty of excellent UOAs with oil changed out way to early in this forum.

I just don't see a small 'disk' of bypass media removing too much before being uselessly clogged. So, I don't see it as any better than any other full flow, and no better than the layered blends or full synth oil filters available locally for less. If microGreen made that disk 10x bigger, maybe I'd be more impressed, and why I'm wondering if different canister sizes have differently sized bypass-element-disks.

Parallel flow filter(bypass element and full flow element) in a single canister is nothing new.

As long as the OP's driving style doesn't change, he can very likely repeat the 30k run with 10k filter changes using ANY filter with similar results.

I would seriously worry about the short tripper, or the negligent never topping oil off owners that consider this filter blindly. Also some engines are soot or debris monsters. Even Amsoil found that out the hard way with clogged barely flowing synth media filters.

graph1.gif

We haven't seen particle count comparisons of ANY of the synth filters compared against the microGreen. Marketing is meaningless without proof..

MG had some particle removal graphs at one time showing their filters got out 2 micron particles. They might be accused of lying to sell their filters. We can accuse anybody of anything.

I just don't see a small 'disk' of bypass media removing too much before being uselessly clogged. So, I don't see it as any better than any other full flow, and no better than the layered blends or full synth oil filters available locally for less. If microGreen made that disk 10x bigger, maybe I'd be more impressed, and why I'm wondering if different canister sizes have differently sized bypass-element-disks.

Machinery Lubrication magazine had some interesting info on Fram Ultra's style of depth filtering. I don't know the other synth media oil filters have the double layer that Ultra has, and it does indeed capture very small particles:

KRmRHOg.jpg

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29396/oil-filter-anatomy

Yes soot particle size tends to be small enough to clog any oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back