Microgard MGL57060 Cut open 9,000 miles use

Came off my coworkers 2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7 hemi, filter was installed September 30,2022 and has 9,000 miles of use on it. The anti drain back valve is a bit stiff but it looks like it held up well. Replaced with Fram Ultra XG10060 and Supertech 0W20 full syn.
385529892_293691446820556_2876116413433996568_n.jpg
396647232_1311294412857821_6857020972050609380_n.jpg
380644432_311478808315405_1008755217893712199_n.jpg
396625620_1584116452328989_8531624618441774059_n.jpg
395904247_1142771910027638_7342986209278764562_n.jpg

Planning on using its longer brother the 10575/57502 filter next time. Plenty of room for it, there's a mile of space up around that oil filter. It's also not going to go near that long on the oil next time :ROFLMAO: this is the same guy I posed about back in May with that 16,000 mile service champ abuse filter off his van.

Well, all things considered this microgard did pretty well for the miles but not exactly the right one for the job. Glad to hear the Ultra went on though. That is a smaller filter. Thanks for sharing.

Well, all things considered this microgard did pretty well for the miles but not exactly the right one for the job. Glad to hear the Ultra went on though. That is a smaller filter. Thanks for sharing.
That's the filter is calls for surprisingly. We were both surprised how small it was. That anti drain back valve wasn't doing much, all the oil poured right out of the filter. Either way, it was still a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

That's the filter is calls for surprisingly. We were both surprised how small it was. That anti drain back valve wasn't doing much, all the oil poured right out of the filter. Either way, it was still a lot better than I thought it was going to be.
Do you happen to remember if this was made in China or Vietnam? Oreilly's is sourcing this standard line of Microgards from two different companies & I'm really not sure who the other one is other than Premium Guard. Oreilly's is showing 99% at 29 microns efficiency for these filters so it it's not real restrictive filter to begin with.

Last edited:
Do you happen to remember if this was made in China or Vietnam? Oreilly's is sourcing this standard line of Microgards from two different companies & I'm really not sure who the other one is other than Premium Guard. Oreilly's is showing 99% at 29 grams efficiency for these filters so it it's not real restrictive filter to begin with.
I looked on the filter, didn't see anything about where it was made. I've never seen the tension spring quite like that inside of a WIX made filter before, though.

Oreilly's is showing 99% at 29 grams efficiency for these filters so it it's not real restrictive filter to begin with.
Flow restriction (ie, the dP across the media vs flow) and filtering efficiency don't necessarily correlate to each other. A less efficient filter can be more restrictive than a more efficient filter.

Flow restriction (ie, the dP across the media vs flow) and filtering efficiency don't necessarily correlate to each other. A less efficient filter can be more restrictive than a more efficient filter.
I'd would bet that this filter has a decent holding capacity for its size & would flow just fine. Especially knowing it's a smaller filter I'd also bet the flow is good to prevent clogging. I highly doubt this small filter wouldn't "Flow" well.

Especially knowing it's a smaller filter I'd also bet the flow is good to prevent clogging.
Flowability (the dP vs flow) and clogging (related to holding capacity) also don't necessarily correlate. Could have a low dP vs flow curve (good "flow"), and a relatively high holding capacity (ie, Ultra, Endurance, and similar type media). Could also have decent flow, but relatively low holding capacity. Recalling one of those Purolator spec sheets from M+H posted, one of them was low efficiency and low holding capacity. There have also been relatively low efficiency and high holding capacity examples too, in Ascent's ISO testing.

Not all media is designed the same in terms of flow, efficiency and holding capacity, and how they correlate to each other. Also, the total media area can have an effect on all three of those performance parameters. ISO 4548 was invented in 1999 to measure all if these factors, and more, because a filter's performance can't be determined by just looking at it.

Last edited:
That's the same filter my Express' LS 6.0 calls for (Fram PH10060 sized)-too small (IMO). I don't think that's a Wix, I've never seen a leaf spring like that in one, thinking it might be a Gonher?

Flowability (the dP vs flow) and clogging (related to holding capacity) also don't necessarily correlate. Could have a low dP vs flow curve (good "flow"), and a relatively high holding capacity (ie, Ultra, Endurance, and similar type media). Could also have decent flow, but relatively low holding capacity. Recalling one of those Purolator spec sheets from M+H posted, one of them was low efficiency and low holding capacity. There have also been relatively low efficiency and high holding capacity examples too, in Ascent's ISO testing.

Not all media is designed the same in terms of flow, efficiency and holding capacity, and how they correlate to each other. Also, the total media area can have an effect on all three of those performance parameters. ISO 4548 was invented in 1999 to measure all if these factors, and more, because a filter's performance can't be determined by just looking at it.
"Could be or could be that syndrome" LOL The fact is we both don't know what the filter's flow characteristics are unless we get some sort of sheet on it which is doubtful. Fact is all filters are designed to have good flow w/ a dirt holding capacity balance. I'm going to give more credit to the manufacturer that builds these things to engineer a good balance into the media.

Last edited:
That's the same filter my Express' LS 6.0 calls for (Fram PH10060 sized)-too small (IMO). I don't think that's a Wix, I've never seen a leaf spring like that in one, thinking it might be a Gonher?
Yeah I recognized it as it's the same filter I've put on my neighbors 8.1 chevy avalanche before, at least I think, it's about the same size anyways which I thought was really small. Looks like my coworkers 5.7 hemi runs really clean because that oil looked pretty good for the mileage, although when he helped me work on my house 2 months ago, I did put 2 quarts of top off oil in it for him, but still.

"Could be or could be that syndrome" LOL The fact is we both don't know what the filter's flow characteristics are unless we get some sort of sheet on it which is doubtful. Fact is all filters are designed to have good flow w/ a dirt holding capacity balance. I'm going to give more credit to the manufacturer that builds these things to engineer a good balance into the media.
No different than you saying (ref post #9):
"I'd would bet that this filter has a decent holding capacity for its size & would flow just fine. Especially knowing it's a smaller filter I'd also bet the flow is good to prevent clogging. I highly doubt this small filter wouldn't "Flow" well."

That's my point with my replies ... that you can't determine a filter's performance by just looking at it (you need actual test data), and gave examples of how efficiency, flow and holding capacity don't have some constant relationship because not all media and oil filters are designed the same.

No different than you saying (ref post #9):
"I'd would bet that this filter has a decent holding capacity for its size & would flow just fine. Especially knowing it's a smaller filter I'd also bet the flow is good to prevent clogging. I highly doubt this small filter wouldn't "Flow" well."

That's my point with my replies ... that you can't determine a filter's performance by just looking at it (you need actual test data), and gave examples of how efficiency, flow and holding capacity don't have some constant relationship because not all media and oil filters are designed the same.
Would you trust a Premium Guard filter on your car? All of us here at BITOG are on pins and needles until we get your approval Zee. 😁

I’m really tempted to try one but it’s so darn handy to keep buying high efficiency Frams at Walmart.

Looks like some of the STP XLs are PG though so that could work. Or is there a way to get a discount on the Microgard version without buying an oil change special?

I’m really tempted to try one but it’s so darn handy to keep buying high efficiency Frams at Walmart.

Looks like some of the STP XLs are PG though so that could work. Or is there a way to get a discount on the Microgard version without buying an oil change special?
Buy the oil and filter then return the oil?

Back