Michelin Defender LTX or CrossClimate SUV

Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus, 235x60x18, in Central New Jersey, drives 14,000 miles/yr, no more than 20 miles each way to work or to see kids, mostly day, no rain or snow but if it's raining you gotta get to work or get home from the kids/grandkids. We have 2-5 snows per year.

Which tire
Michelin Defender LTX 70,000 mile tread or Michelin CrossClimate SUV 50,000 mile tread

Defender. Snow 2 to 5 times in a year is not serious snow. I am using Defender LTX and New Hampshire gets a ton of frequent, deep snow. No problems with the Defender LTX on my Tundra. After 22,000 miles they are barely worn at more than 9/32" all around. That is on track to beat the 70,000 treadwear warranty.

Defender. Normally, our RX330 will need new tires at about 35,000 miles. The Defenders have 30,000 miles and still at 8/32. They ride very nice and are very good all season tires. I put them on the Jeep and the Lexus.

I've had Defenders and found them to be outstanding in every way, including how quite they are. One thing I can't stand is noisy tires and the Defenders are about a quite as you can get.

At your mileage, best case scenario, you'll be changing the CC's out in 3.5 years and the Def's in 5. If rain and traction is as big a concern as you seem to infer in your post, I would spend the extra $$ on the CC's; but I am someone who refuses to skimp on tires. Not knowing your real-world situation with your weather there and all things being equal, I would still feel very safe and comfortable on the Defenders. The OEM's that came on my Tundra are Defender's and they have been very good to me so far, which has never been the case on any other new vehicle I've owned and the OEM's. I have about 25k on them and they are on track for about 60k I'd say.

Defender. I have them on my Ram and my Daughter has them on her Mazda and we both have nothing but good things to say.

Back