Crossover/SUV Tires 2018 Sienna

Hi all!

Our 2018 Sienna Limited is coming up on needing new tires soon. Currently it has on a set of General Altimax RT43 and I have been pretty disappointed with the wear. Our local western PA driving is not conducive to tread life. I'm thinking we will get about 13-14k tops out of these Generals. I have noticed the Generals felt really soft and seemed to wear out the edges, even though I run them at 42 PSI.

I'm strongly considering putting a crossover/SUV tire like the Michelin Defender LTX or the Pirelli Scorpion AS3 plus. My top pick would be the Michelin CrossClimate 2 as I have them on other vehicles and they have been stellar. I'm just not sure how the CrossClimate 2 will fare on the Sienna since it seems to be a "car" tire.

Do the crossover tires really have a beefier construction over the car tires?

Ideally as part of this move I'd like to retire the seasonal tire switch out as well as this vehicle doesn't get driven enough to warrant 2 sets of tires.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Yes they are tire eaters. To get a lot better wear you would have to go to a truck tire load range E. Look into the Michelin LTX A/S. I have used them and have been very satisfied with them. Excellent wear qualities and pretty quiet.

It is not your tires. It is Sienna! It eats tires. Bump pressure to 42psi to lower wear.
He already said that he has done that.
Since he is claiming that the edges are still wearing at 42 psi, I suspect that the tire pressure gauge that he is using may be inaccurate. Wildly inaccurate tire pressure gauges are VERY common. In my personal experience 42 psi eliminates the shoulder wear caused by Toyota's 35 psi underinflation recommendation, it did for me. Since increasing my inflation I have gotten over 50k miles on several sets of tires (rotated every 5k to 6k miles).
To the OP, stick with passenger car tires. DO NOT go with load range E tires! In addition to being very expensive they require much higher pressures and the van will ride like a 1 ton pickup. Also, SUV or LT tires will not give you lower tire wear than quality "P" passenger car tires.

Last edited:
It's rare to see more than 35k on Sienna tires, I upsized to 235/60-18 (104V vs 99H) on mine to get the higher load rating, Goodyear Weatherready tire.
Running at 44psi have about 5k miles on them and no signs of wear yet, I would like to get 40k out of them.
They are decent in snow also.

It is not your tires. It is Sienna! It eats tires. Bump pressure to 42psi to lower wear.
Unfortunately this true, there's a disproportionate amount of weight on the front tires. If the Defender LTX comes in the correct size, it would be a good choice.

Yes they are tire eaters. To get a lot better wear you would have to go to a truck tire load range E. Look into the Michelin LTX A/S. I have used them and have been very satisfied with them. Excellent wear qualities and pretty quiet.
Load range E? I have that on my heavy duty box trucks there 10 ply tires. I don't even think they would make a size for a mini van

Our RX330 at 275k has never had a set of tires go beyond 38k, until I put on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. If it comes in the right size for your Sienna, definitely consider that for your research.

I've had Michelin CrossClimate 2's on RX350 for about 8K. It's similar in weight to the Sienna. The tires look new, so, my expectation is that they will wear well. The RX rides and handles well with these tires. I don't think you need a truck/suv tire on your Sienna. I'm running mine at 36psi BTW.

Hi all!

Our 2018 Sienna Limited is coming up on needing new tires soon. Currently it has on a set of General Altimax RT43 and I have been pretty disappointed with the wear. Our local western PA driving is not conducive to tread life. I'm thinking we will get about 13-14k tops out of these Generals. I have noticed the Generals felt really soft and seemed to wear out the edges, even though I run them at 42 PSI.

I'm strongly considering putting a crossover/SUV tire like the Michelin Defender LTX or the Pirelli Scorpion AS3 plus. My top pick would be the Michelin CrossClimate 2 as I have them on other vehicles and they have been stellar. I'm just not sure how the CrossClimate 2 will fare on the Sienna since it seems to be a "car" tire.

Do the crossover tires really have a beefier construction over the car tires?

Ideally as part of this move I'd like to retire the seasonal tire switch out as well as this vehicle doesn't get driven enough to warrant 2 sets of tires.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

I have the Generals on my wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL and see the opposite results you do. Your vehicle is known for eating tires. I have over 30,000 miles on the RT43s. Even wear. My compliant, as they wear they are a little nosier. You put Michelins on you will probably see more tread life-but not the advertised tread life due to your vehicle and how it's pretty tough on tires. BTW-putting any tire over an "XL" rating is a big mistake.

It's rare to see more than 35k on Sienna tires, I upsized to 235/60-18 (104V vs 99H) on mine to get the higher load rating, Goodyear Weatherready tire.
Running at 44psi have about 5k miles on them and no signs of wear yet, I would like to get 40k out of them.
They are decent in snow also.
Have you had any issues with rubbing or clearance? I always thought the sidewalls were too small for a vehicle of this size. Chrysler and Honda both put bigger tires on their minivans from the factory.

Have you had any issues with rubbing or clearance? I always thought the sidewalls were too small for a vehicle of this size. Chrysler and Honda both put bigger tires on their minivans from the factory.
No rub. You can't go any taller than 235/60R18 without mods though.

He already said that he has done that.
Since he is claiming that the edges are still wearing at 42 psi, I suspect that the tire pressure gauge that he is using may be inaccurate. Wildly inaccurate tire pressure gauges are VERY common. In my personal experience 42 psi eliminates the shoulder wear caused by Toyota's 35 psi underinflation recommendation, it did for me. Since increasing my inflation I have gotten over 50k miles on several sets of tires (rotated every 5k to 6k miles).
To the OP, stick with passenger car tires. DO NOT go with load range E tires! In addition to being very expensive they require much higher pressures and the van will ride like a 1 ton pickup. Also, SUV or LT tires will not give you lower tire wear than quality "P" passenger car tires.
I am running 42psi on both POS DriveGuards and X-Ice2 in winter. X-Ice although are winter tire, wear much better than DriveGuards.

The Sienna Eats Tires. I have used Continental Trucontacts and have gotten around 42000+ as a highway cruiser. I think the Michelin Defender LTX MS is a truck tire and not the same tire as the other Michelin Premier tire. I wish the defender came in my factory size of 235/60/17.

I have a buddy with an '04 Sienna LE and he also can't keep tires on it. He's tried several brands/models over the years and the heavy not so mini van just wears them out. Even tread wear but not long tread wear. His tire size (I believe) is 215-65-16.

Last edited:
My wifes 2014 sienna has had generals for the last two runs and get 40+k miles out of them.

You might need to get your suspension, pressure gauge and or driving habits checked, i run at 35 psi and air them up when the light comes on. (~30psi).

no muss no fuss,

the other tire i used on the 07 sienna was the hancook optimo h767. they are noisier than the generals and stop a little worse but wear loke iron. they have a 100k mile warranty and i was getting 60 or so on the sienna.

Back