Michelin Defender 2

Anyone know how these tires are different than the current Defender T+H?

Looking on Discount tire directs website the Defender 2 has 11/32" of tread compared to 10/32" on the T+H. Also has a treadwear of 840 vs 820 and a traction rating of B vs A on the T+H.

The 2 appears to be a little cheaper as well.
Generally, the higher the treadwear rating, the longer the tire lasts, AND, the harder the tire rides. Make sure you are going to be comfortable with your new tires. I go for less treadwear and a more comfortable ride. .02

Generally, the higher the treadwear rating, the longer the tire lasts, AND, the harder the tire rides. Make sure you are going to be comfortable with your new tires. I go for less treadwear and a more comfortable ride. .02
This is also no longer the case, if you want to know how a tire performs check out Tirerack official tests when they do them. Treadwear ratings are also only comparable within a brand, there is no standard between brands, so again it's nearly meaningless to use as a point of comparison. There's a lot more that goes into tire design than treadwear resistance, especially with modern tread compounds.

Generally, the higher the treadwear rating, the longer the tire lasts, AND, the harder the tire rides.
Ah .... Mmmmm ...... Not exactly

Ride harshness is a tradeoff with handling crispness. Treadwear is a tradeoff with rolling resistance, and/or traction especially wet traction.

It's a misconception that a hard tread rubber compound has a significant effect on ride.

Treadwear ratings are also only comparable within a brand, there is no standard between brands, so again it's nearly meaningless to use as a point of comparison..
Ah .... Mmmmm ...... Not exactly

UTQG treadwear ratings are the result of the same test compared to the SRTT (Standard Reference Test Tire) and while conducted by many different people, the results are comparable. Where this becomes interesting is that there is a LOT of variability AND the value published can't OVERSTATE, but it can be understated.

Last edited:
I've had a few sets of Michelins and I was always VERY impressed with the treadwear and performance in every category rated. I use Tire Rack and find their ratings of the tires to be very accurate and have never purchased a tire that did not perform as rated. I exclusively only use tires rated at A A 500+, even if the tests may be meaningless, they have always performed as rated. I drive my cars very aggressively and I tend to buy a new one (used) every three years. So the first set of Michelins in 2010 on my F-150 were awesome, made the truck corner as well as any car. The sidewalls were pretty stiff and amazing in the corners, and the ride was really great and comfortable for a truck. Since then I've purchased about 5 different sets of Michelins, which are always dramatically better than the tires they vehicles came with. I've driven many many different cars, all my friends vehicles, different rental almost every week for work, and plenty of high performance sports cars. Lots of experience with many types of tires and also each type of driving conditions, plenty of snow experience with different models also.

I would definitely purchase the The T+H's. Tread wear, is A Rather than B on the other. I usually don't purchase tires that have only A A specs, but I pay the most attention to the user ratings. I've never installed a tire that didn't perform as the ratings described. My only gripe with the Michelins is they tend to be pretty expensive compared to other tires their size. But, I always pony up and spend the coin. FYI, the best road tire I've ever driven was the MXV4's, about five years ago, on my Ford Taurus. Just amazing in every rating and performance. It had an AA A 800 rating and was rated at 60k miles. I put over 40k miles on the tires and they were only a tiny bit above half worn. Performance never degraded over wear, and visually appeared new.

What vehicle / size are you looking at? Just curious...

Last edited:
I'm looking at the 205/55R16 for a Civic. I don't need tires yet but was just curious how this Defender was different. I currently have the original Defender, the one before the T+H.

I'm looking at the 205/55R16 for a Civic. I don't need tires yet but was just curious how this Defender was different. I currently have the original Defender, the one before the T+H.
How much do you like your Michelins? I'm guessing very well since you're looking at new ones.. Can you say the tires have any areas you consider weak performance?

How much do you like your Michelins? I'm guessing very well since you're looking at new ones.. Can you say the tires have any areas you consider weak performance?
So I've had them for about 6.5 years and 38k miles. I don't drive a lot of miles per year. They have been great so far. The only area where I am a little under impressed is tread wear. I'm at 38k miles and if I do the math they will make it to ~60k miles when they hit 2/32". The tread mileage on these tires was 90k miles (current Defenders are 80k).

But at about 6000 miles/yr they will age out at about the same time they wear out. Almost 7 years old they are still quiet, are wearing evenly and have no cracking.

I noticed the Defender 2s the other day as well. It specifically says in the Discount Tire description that these are a replacement for the Defender XT. I'm thinking that these tires are the the Defender XT with some of the technology from the CrossClimate 2s. It looks like they have PANO technology which is the noise reduction that Michelin applies to the CrossClimate 2. The B traction rating makes me wonder if they are using a similar rubber compound to the CrossClimate 2. If this is the case, then these tires should be a longer wearing, quieter, and lower rolling resistance version of the CrossClimate 2 with the tradeoff being less winter traction.

From the pictures, it looks like the Defender 2's also have that "Evergrip" technology on the side lugs where the groves expand as the tread wears down, like on the Michelin Premiers.

I've had a few sets of Michelins and I was always VERY impressed with the treadwear and performance in every category rated. I use Tire Rack and find their ratings of the tires to be very accurate and have never purchased a tire that did not perform as rated. I exclusively only use tires rated at A A 500+, even if the tests may be meaningless, they have always performed as rated. I drive my cars very aggressively and I tend to buy a new one (used) every three years. So the first set of Michelins in 2010 on my F-150 were awesome, made the truck corner as well as any car. The sidewalls were pretty stiff and amazing in the corners, and the ride was really great and comfortable for a truck. Since then I've purchased about 5 different sets of Michelins, which are always dramatically better than the tires they vehicles came with. I've driven many many different cars, all my friends vehicles, different rental almost every week for work, and plenty of high performance sports cars. Lots of experience with many types of tires and also each type of driving conditions, plenty of snow experience with different models also.

I would definitely purchase the The T+H's. Tread wear, is A Rather than B on the other. I usually don't purchase tires that have only A A specs, but I pay the most attention to the user ratings. I've never installed a tire that didn't perform as the ratings described. My only gripe with the Michelins is they tend to be pretty expensive compared to other tires their size. But, I always pony up and spend the coin. FYI, the best road tire I've ever driven was the MXV4's, about five years ago, on my Ford Taurus. Just amazing in every rating and performance. It had an AA A 800 rating and was rated at 60k miles. I put over 40k miles on the tires and they were only a tiny bit above half worn. Performance never degraded over wear, and visually appeared new.

What vehicle / size are you looking at? Just curious...
Just ditched the OE MXV4's on my Toyota. 65k on them and had 4.5/32nds left. Replaced before winter driving. Had it been spring, probably would've put another 10k+ on them and waited until next fall.

Side-by-side comparison I know they’re different sizes

Attachments

• 1761EBC7-B180-4E29-83B8-1BCAB661847F.jpeg
    1761EBC7-B180-4E29-83B8-1BCAB661847F.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 807
Back