Michelin CrossClimate2 Installed

Depending where at in Iowa, you might get your snow today!
I'm in the Council Bluffs area. (Glenwood to be exact) Sounds like 3" or less snow.

Still enough to get out and see how the CC2"s perform possibly.

In my younger years, I would have looked forward to new tires and snow. These days, I would just rather stay home! But I have a class at Iowa Western Community College tomorrow at 8:00 AM.

I did put these on my RX350 - so far they are a great tire. Quiet and had some snow the other day and they were great.

We’re putting Michelin cc2 and defenders on our new fleet of metris vans. I’m not impressed the way they balance out…always have a ton of static imbalance. I’d never put a tread pattern like the cc2 on a personal car either, but that’s just me. I don’t test drive the metris vans after install enough to really get a feel to judge the tires.

I'm in the Council Bluffs area. (Glenwood to be exact) Sounds like 3" or less snow.

Still enough to get out and see how the CC2"s perform possibly.

In my younger years, I would have looked forward to new tires and snow. These days, I would just rather stay home! But I have a class at Iowa Western Community College tomorrow at 8:00 AM.
Drive from Des Moines to West central Iowa tonight. Wasn’t bad until I got to Denison and then it got nasty.

We’re putting Michelin cc2 and defenders on our new fleet of metris vans. I’m not impressed the way they balance out…always have a ton of static imbalance. I’d never put a tread pattern like the cc2 on a personal car either, but that’s just me. I don’t test drive the metris vans after install enough to really get a feel to judge the tires.
I'm from that neck of the woods. Grew up in Exira and worked in Audubon quite a few years.

The way this winter is going, Michelin Pilot P4S :)
Only problem is Raton pass between NM and CO. That part of CO is warm and dry. I wouldn’t overthink it. Good A/S will cut it. Considering we are in La Nina pattern, he might not see any snow.
Dealer pushed him to Michelin Defender LTX in 245 60/18 - not a new idea but not a bad one either …

Dealer pushed him to Michelin Defender LTX in 245 60/18 - not a new idea but not a bad one either …
He will be fine.
Honestly, you never know here. Pueblo rarely gets any snow, but yesterday got an inch, while we didn’t get any. Arapahoe Basin, second highest ski lift in North America got an inch too :)

Reactions: 4WD
Doesn’t seem like a good match for a crossover.
4000# vehicle with a 3500# tow package on 105H (Michelin site shows it takes 106H) ) … Told him I don’t think it would tow much - still looking at small campers - and told the tire store that …
He tells me it rides good and drives better - I have not driven it - I’m overseas and just wanted him to get M&S - A/S for Colorado - time for tires too … We are near the GoM - so it’s a long trip in mid December …

Last edited:
Got to drive them in the snow with my HiHy AWD on eco drive mode

Once I got a feel for them with traction versus throttle It was uneventful going up a mountain and down a mountain. Going down, I wasn’t paying attention and speed got to 30mph and had a sharp turn, a little squirrelly until the tires and stability control hooked up the traction

A few inches of snow in the parking lots… no issues

67101E68-AFAD-4723-B7ED-9386A13FCC96.jpeg
5F4D6656-9770-4E27-B96E-64DD688C402A.jpeg

I drove over the Siskiyous yesterday and was told to chain. After doing that and getting back onto the highway and seeing no snow I promptly took them off. The biggest hazard I had was chained cars doing 25 in the slow lane and everybody else doing 70 mph in the left lane. I will never listen to Caltrans again, bunch of clowns if you ask me.

Installed a set 2 weeks ago on my wife’s 2015 CRV. It is very prone to wheelspin during acceleration. it had bfgs on it which were great for 2 years and then was almost comical. My wife doesn’t complain about much but these - I think - simply need more weight over them as they age to have bite. So with plenty of tread left we bought the Michelins.

they are not strong on-center tires. You have to hold a counter steer against road crown, compared to the BFGs and the Bridgestones before that. They absorb road imperfections very well and are more quiet, at least right now, new. they do have a softer rubber feel which feels like they “hold” well in a turn, while also being a little loose. to her, she feels like they ”hug the road” more, while not being as precise as the previous tires. shes not having wet-road acceleration problems with them currently; will be interesting to see if that holds up. I suspect it will, given the soft compound, likely at the sacrifice of tread wear. I’m ok with a shorter tread life, if I can get more usable miles out of the tire.

overall, I like them a lot. I think they will actually improve in handling as the rubber gets some miles and hardens a little. I added 3psi and the on-center precision is a little tighter. I could see going with these again if they play out well. Note- I’m not a Michelin guy- weve probably bought more Bridgestones historically. Took less weight to balance than the Bridgestones and Yokohamas on our other vehicles.

Looks like you have a Highlander Limited. Can't tell if that's the blue outlined badge for the Hybrid or not.

Correct car, not mine - that the facility guy Seans car.
He also has a 3/4 diesel sierra.

We have a pretty diverse group of vehicles amongst the crew.

Everybody pitches in including me as the CEO - thats my titan

Were keeping IT " spun up" as the power hits kill the system - flatten the UPS, then everything dies, then power comes back on and everything tries to reboot - in the middle of that power dies again, but the UPS's aren't charged back up and everyting crashes hard again .....and on and one so we keep the IT powered up.

We split genset watch.

The big diesel is coming .........

Nothings taking away our coffee.

IMG_2451 (1).jpeg
IMG_2450 (1).jpeg
IMG_2452 (1).jpeg

Nothings taking away our coffee.

Well yeah. Priorities!

Does anyone know if the CrossClimate2 will replace the CrossClimate SUV's remaining sizes, or if there will be a CrossClimate SUV 2? The additional tread depth on these would be nice.

Also, what are people doing for spares with directional tires like these? Especially on AWD vehicles that want all tires close in diameter.

I thought I wanted these but I am having a hard time understanding how they get a B rating (second from the worst rating possible) in Wet traction. The B Rating is moulded right in the tire side wall for everyone to see. That rating came from testing data and does not match what is being said here. Are these just great snow tires and ok in everything else?

Can someone better versed in tire engineering and design please explain that discrepancy? Is it just the Halo effect? We want to like and justify what we spend our $ on.

Then it was also noted by many that the rolling resistance is very poor, resulting in significant MPG reductions. As gas gets to $4+ a gallon, with a fed govt. that is trying to drive it even higher, that is a very important consideration for tire selection for many.

But Consumer Reports magazine has them in their recommended column despite these same deficiencies that their testing proved. Perhaps waiting for cc3’s to come out is the best idea?

Michelin claims the wet rating is outdated. But doesn’t mind that on the PS4S, it is AA, the best

The rating is based on a skidded tire on asphalt and concrete surfaces

ABS makes a skidding tire obsolete, but the tire does skid momentarily during its operation for its pulsing

Back