Metallic "glimmer" in small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
No filter? There is not much you can really do . How old is the motor? What is the oil change interval?

The motor's probably as old as I am - 24.

The engine seems to run great on Delo now - but I'll check it again.

"Residential service engines run on the bare aluminum cylinder-no iron liner."

I respectfully disagree with your comment about no cylinder lining. All modern day small engines have some sort of lining for more durable service.

Since switching to synthetic in my B&S powered mower (Mobil 1 10w30 mixed with a gulp of M1 15w50) I've had no more shimmering oil.

Alex.

Yeah but I bet your IRON is through the roof like it is on all the other UOA's here.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

"Any suggestions for oil additives for the B&S spash engines?
Or is a good synthetic enough protection?"

Additives nor synthetics are usually needed for these engines. I, like many others here, use HDEOs in 15W-40, straight 30 or even 10W-30 if you can find it. Get the ones with the MOST amount of zinc, phosphorous, moly, calcium and/or boron you can find.

For snowblowers not stored in a heated area, consider a synthetic (5W-30, 10W-30 or 5W-40) for ease of starting.

If you want that last little bit of extra protection, consider using something like Red Line Oil's break-in additive (lots of ZDDP) or Schaeffer 132:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/specialty/132.html

I also use a top lube: 2-cycle oil at 150-200:1, Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO), Lucas UCL or similar every other tank of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back