Metal shavings in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Changed the oil on my Camry, 2,800 miles on some Mobil Super HM 5w30 that I had in my stash and used a Wix filter. The drain pan wasn't spotless but it wasn't oily or dirty either when I started. Walking around dirt and stuff from the dirty street could have come up and I think that's the big chunks, but it sure does have a lot of glitter in the pan. The car runs good and I filled with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Wix filter. How bad is it?

5fn79c.jpg

2b2sko.jpg

2rml9iq.jpg

That doesn't look good at all! Looks like something is coming apart.

Last edited:
Check to see if its ferrous or not with a magnet that will narrow it down. If its ferrous its possibly a cam lobe or something in the valve train or the oil pump.
Non magnetic is possibly a piston or oil pump housing or something else made of aluminum.

Whatever it is isn't good.

That looks like copper-based alloy sitting in the pan.
Does the color in the photographs look the same with the naked eye? Sometimes the camera changes the appearance.
You should definitely cut open the filter and see if there is more of the same caught in the pleats of the element.
Have you noticed any changes in oil pressure?

Not pulling anyone's leg, I saved the filter and I'll see if I can cut it open

So you bought a car with both a transmission problem and an oil drain pan full of metal? What did it look like at the first o/c? Is this a recent development since the last o/c?

Hope you didn't pay too much.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Save the oil and Chocolate Milk ATF in case you decide to do a UOA.

There is also power steering fluid and brake fluid which you should look into.

Your power level will be over 9000 when you're done with all of the maintenance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I don't know how the car can be running good with all that metal. I assume the filter is totally plugged and you were in bypass mode. You probably have a bunch of flat cam lobes.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The specks are almost too uniform in size. Looks like metallic paint. You're not pulling our leg, are you?

Your right. I don't know how Restore looks or what its made of but if its mostly copper and soft metals it wont be caught by a magnet.

It almost looks like the metallic fleck paint Purolator uses on their Pure One oil filters. Only much finer flecks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back