Metal particles on Drain plug at 93K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed the second OC on my 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5t. I bought it wit 86K on it and did the first OC using QSUD 5w-30 and a Mann filter. I also replaced the crankcase drain plug with one from FCP Groton...seems to have a bigger magnet than the OEM Volvo plug. Anyway, when cleaning the drain plug, I noticed a very small accumulation of fine metal particles...1/4 the size of a pencil eraser. I cleaned the plug thoroughly and replaced it and cleaned the filter housing as well. This OC I used M1 0w-30 Advanced Fuel Economy and a Mann filter. Is it normal to have a tiny bit of metal particles at 93k? PO had the vehicle serviced at recommended intervals by reputable Volvo dealers.

Did you save an oil sample? Perhaps this would be a time where the best place to start is to send an oil sample to Blackstone. Once you have the results, then you can track down the problem (if one even exists!)

Just my
49.gif
: This is why I haven't installed any magnetic drain plugs on my vehicles yet. I know if I changed the oil and a big clump of metals was on the drain plug, I would have an aneurysm.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: old1
1/4 the size of a pencil eraser? That sounds like some pretty BIG chunks of metal to me.

No, perhaps I didn't describe that correctly. They were very fine particles...like a metallic paste the entire "paste" was 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
If the metal is like fuzz then no problem.

Yes, that's a good way to describe it.

Quote:

No, perhaps I didn't describe that correctly. They were very fine particles...like a metallic paste the entire "paste" was 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser.

I assumed you exaggerated slightly. Its ok we all do it.
thumbsup2.gif
I still would send in an oil sample just to be safe. It is not uncommon (as others have stated) to see this on your magnet. You just want to be sure it is common engine wear and not something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toros
Originally Posted By: Eddie
If the metal is like fuzz then no problem.

Yes, that's a good way to describe it.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you suffer you're really concerned send a sample of the oil out for analysis.

I also did a drain and fill for the transmission and oddly enough, no evidence at all of metallic particles on the tranny plug. Trans fluid wasn't exactly "cherry red" but not too bad.

Small amount of metal, the consistency of fine paste?

My two P2 cars have just enough of that residue on the magnetic drain plug that they soil the cloth I use to wipe them clean...less than the amount you describe.

Not a big deal. But a UOA would help clarify what's going on and I would recommend it.

Thanks guys. Sounds like its SOP for most vehicles. BTW, $22.62 for a 5qt. jug of M1 0w-30 Advanced Fuel Economy oil is good stuff at a good price although my XC90 takes almost 6 qts., I used one qt. of Super Tech 10w-30 to finish the job.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Sounds like its SOP for most vehicles. BTW, $22.62 for a 5qt. jug of M1 0w-30 Advanced Fuel Economy oil is good stuff at a good price although my XC90 takes almost 6 qts., I used one qt. of Super Tech 10w-30 to finish the job.

You finished off Mobil 1....with Super Tech. Why not top it off with another quart of mobil 1?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636

You finished off Mobil 1....with Super Tech. Why not top it off with another quart of mobil 1?
confused.gif

Walmart did not have it. I know it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back