metal flakes in transfer case fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did a transfer case flush on my new to me 1997 GMC Sierra with 75,000 miles on it. Today I rechecked the fliud to make sure it was still 100% full and it was. When I opened the fill hole a little leaked out and I dabbed it up with my finger and I could see little tiny metal flakes in it. The fluid was nice and red though. Is this normal or do I have a problem? I never noticed this before on my other trucks. All seem well with the truck.
Also I flushed the front and rear diff's and the rear looks clean but the front still looks a little dirty but much better then before. Should I flush it again or is it ok? Thanks!!!

Since it is new to you there is a very good chance the fluid was never changed, and you have metal flakes from break-in of the unit along with normal wear. I tend to be a bit OCD. I'd do another flush before the bad weather sets in and call it good. Not much else you can do if the unit is functioning properly. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Since it is new to you there is a very good chance the fluid was never changed, and you have metal flakes from break-in of the unit along with normal wear. I tend to be a bit OCD. I'd do another flush before the bad weather sets in and call it good. Not much else you can do if the unit is functioning properly. JMO

Yep!

agreed. flakes that are floating about in gears and chains would be bad in my book. some have pump-fed lubrication-- pumps don't like grit. that said, it hasn't failed yet, probably fine.

is this the one with selectable manual and auto 4wd? takes the blue GM stuff? I think those can be hard on the fluid if it's used in the auto setting all the time. just a guess after helping friends maintain theirs.

It's normal. As mentioned above, the flakes represent the break-in material. Your next change will come out much cleaner.

Thanks guys! It has the red Dexron III fliud. The fluid itself is clean in the transfer case the the front diff is still a little dirty looking after the 1st flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back