Met the absolute biggest jerk I have ever encountered tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about your encounter with what's now the norm in society. People who act like adults and do the right thing are the minority. If I had been stupid enough to back into you, I would have been apologizing my @$$ off and at least offer to get the scratch fixed. But the entitled brats that now dictate societal behavior won't stoop to admit fault or accept accountability.

While the actual damage is not worth your time, I couldn't help but feel the need to go ahead and drag these people through the mud and force them to be accountable (although his insurance company will actually be accountable, and he knows that). Kudos to you for being able to walk away without doing just that, because your time is valuable too. Just do yourself the favor of finding parking spots where actually requires effort to park near you, because the people like the one you described are also notoriously lazy. Curbs, islands, light poles and end-spots are your friends, because NOBODY can be trusted anymore.

An apology might have gone a long way with me in that situation. I'm not unsympathetic to an accident, etc, and it sounds like dude might have been in an argument with his wife. Apologize, explain that you were distracted and it was an accident, and I might be more inclined to work something out "off the record".

But start acting like that, and, like somebody else said above, all bets are off. You've just proven yourself unworthy of any sort of trust, and from then on, like Greg said, we're going 100% By The Book. Gonna need a pic of your license and insurance, and the police are getting called.

For all you know, he was drunk or drugged. Another reason I carry. Never know what kind of senseless altercation you might get into with some knucklehead, over nothing.

Sometimes on the news I see a minor fender bump turns into a deadly shooting.

Not enough damage to file a claim or even worth chasing. With any luck, karma will take care of him.
Sorry it happened.

People are often like that since they haven't been held accountable for their own actions; even though it was minimal, by not calling police or insurance you've just encouraged and reinforced his behavior.

There is still time to do either, hopefully you were enough on top of things to at least snap a picture of his license plate.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but I’ll tell you anyways.

You don’t know what damage is under that bumper. If he backed into it and felt he hit it, something could be bent. Aren’t the tow hooks red powder coat too?

Shoukda woulda coulda.
The impact was not hard enough to do anything other than scratching the tow loop--especially considering the metal reinforcement from the winch plate, but of course, that is not the point...

WylieCoyote "Curbs, islands, light poles and end-spots are your friends, because NOBODY can be trusted anymore".​

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Plus, when you pull into a spot, park in the further spot so you don't have to backup.

The damage o the cable might look minor, but how do we know the winch wasnt damaged? I’d perform an op check before you need it again.

The problem with that guy is that he has no sense of distance or length. He thinks 3 inches is 8 inches. This is why he hides all rulers and tape measures from his wife.

Scott
I can only wonder what she measures.

And that's why I drive old beaters.....Can't have nothin' nice in a public domain. I don't park & leave my Camaro anywhere!!!
Yup. I go grocery shopping every Sunday evening, I don’t even take my Genesis anymore, I take my old beater Camry. Someone put a ding over the left rear wheel well.

Last edited:
Yup. I go grocery shopping every Sunday day evening, I don’t even take my Genesis anymore, I take my old beater Camry. Someone put a ding over the left rear wheel well.
This is a primary reason why I'm gravitating towards these old Subaru units. As much as I don't want something to happen.. its a car I can park not on the far most corner of a parking lot to try to protect it.

And yes there are jerks that will launch their empty cart towards a nice car no matter how far away it is before they leave. Because I believe there is an honest to goodness psychological need for (some? all? Certain kinds) of people to be passive-aggressive jerks.

And there's not really anything can be done about it, except for perhaps, acceptance of What Is.

We can't change What Is. - Rambo 2008

So... since you were there, did you immediately photograph the situation? Photo his hitch in your vehicle?

Did you call the police? Or are you just accepting it and griping on here?

The behavior is unsat, and I’d be much more unlikely to let it go with that sort of behavior.

The damage o the cable might look minor, but how do we know the winch wasnt damaged? I’d perform an op check before you need it again.
I checked it out this morning. It is all good. The scratches are minimal and would have occurred over time anyway, but again, that is not the point.

KkKiTF.jpg

KkK4kP.jpg

I checked it out this morning. It is all good. The scratches are minimal and would have occurred over time anyway, but again, that is not the point.

KkKiTF.jpg

KkK4kP.jpg

Minimal indeed.. I don't know what I'm looking at, but I don't see any damage! Possibly two dents ?

Looks good. His was Built Ford Tough and you had a winch so you were good. :)

So... since you were there, did you immediately photograph the situation? Photo his hitch in your vehicle?

Did you call the police? Or are you just accepting it and griping on here?

The behavior is unsat, and I’d be much more unlikely to let it go with that sort of behavior.
In the end, knowing what I know about police, it seriously was not worth the effort. Had there been more damage I would have engaged them.

Minimal indeed.. I don't know what I'm looking at, but I don't see any damage! Possibly two dents ?

Looks good. His was Built Ford Tough and you had a winch so you were good. :)
There are scratches where powder coat was removed on both sides (bare aluminum); the nib of the tow loop went inside of his receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back