Met the absolute biggest jerk I have ever encountered tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 2 choices: 1) call your insurance company to file a claim against him (as he probably refused to provide insurance info), and 2) just leave and cool off.

These kind of jerks are all around us, and they get away quite often.

You have 2 choices: 1) call your insurance company to file a claim against him (as he probably refused to provide insurance info), and 2) just leave and cool off.

These kind of jerks are all around us, and they get away quite often.
Not enough damage to file a claim or even worth chasing. With any luck, karma will take care of him.

Same here--my Dad would put a knot or three on my head had I acted like this guy. Sadly, he was driving a really nice Platinum truck. I can only imagine how that would have went had I backed into him.
Good decision … my wife had a parking lot “rub” - she had already given name & number and they were talking when the police arrive. Passenger in other vehicle called them. It was a private lot - no ticket was issued …
Well, we hired an attorney to draft a letter he signed that we paid to have their bumper painted
We live in a small town & it never got painted … Scratch-X did our Lincoln. Thought that was it.
When I got ready to trade that pristine vehicle ? It had been in a “collision “ and got hosed on offer …

It was not worth calling them and they may not even come out for something like that. The damage was minimal, it is the principle behind it.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but I’ll tell you anyways.

You don’t know what damage is under that bumper. If he backed into it and felt he hit it, something could be bent. Aren’t the tow hooks red powder coat too?

Shoukda woulda coulda.

Parked my Rubicon tonight in a large lot and had dinner. When coming out to get into the Jeep, I noticed a 2019+ Ford F-350 single axle backing into the spot ahead of me. As I got closer, I could tell that he was REALLY close to the front of the Jeep. I unlocked it remotely which turns on the LED headlights to give the guy a clue there was a vehicle behind him. He proceeds to back into the Jeep and the winch loop was jammed into his receiver.

He pulls forward and gets out. I asked if he saw the Jeep behind him because he backed into it. He proceeds to go on a tirade, yelling at his wife when she states to me that it was an accident. He then yells at me to give him some room so that he could look at the winch loop. Turns on his phone flashlight and says there are a couple of scratches and that it is no big deal and starts to walk away.

I reminded him that the scratches were not there before he backed into it and asked how it happened since he has a backup camera and bumper sensors telling him that he is getting too close. He then tells me that I am being part of the male anatomy. I have relatively thick skin, but at this point, I basically went off and said, "Let me get this straight. You back into my vehicle despite your truck telling you that you were getting close, I turn on the headlights so that you could see there was a vehicle behind you, and somehow I am the jerk? Wow...people like you are what is wrong with the world today." At this point, his wife is giving him the what for and he storms off.

For sure, the scratches are not an issue, but one would have expected at least an apology for backing into someone's vehicle. I guess this guys rolls a completely different way., but karma can be a bitter pill to swallow when it comes full circle.
This just proves my point .. Even those of us with the thickest skins occasionally get thrown a curveball that warrants response.

In today's America... one has to pick their battles. Kudos to the OP (Grinch).

Escalating this any further could of resulted in some very bad stuff- to include gunshots. That is not unheard of- but should be. People are getting educated by the lowest denominators of media, and often have no clue of what right looks like.

Key is to mitigate issues before bad stuff happens. Can't count on some fellow Americans to act like you do.

Fall down and start screaming, my back,my back, whiplash!
Good lawyer and a quack doctor. Easy money.

When the smart phones first came out, my late friend taught me to immediately pull out the phone and record video. He also convinced me to get a dash-cam for each of my vehicles. That has served me exceedingly well, as video proof is sufficient for claims.

I'd make a claim, even if the damage is quite minor.

When the smart phones first came out, my late friend taught me to immediately pull out the phone and record video. He also convinced me to get a dash-cam for each of my vehicles. That has served me exceedingly well, as video proof is sufficient for claims.

I'd make a claim, even if the damage is quite minor.
And have a Carfax entry for a accident??? Pick your battles and remember your mission.

Here in Illinois, the police won't even show up. It is damage that occurred in a parking lot, which is private property.
From my understanding, it could be an actual hit-and-run and sometimes they won't show, OR leave if they see there's no damage... new age/era police policies, COVID, etc. Just stating that then moving on...

Would be different if there was personal injury or if the cops saw it..

Parked my Rubicon tonight in a large lot and had dinner. When coming out to get into the Jeep, I noticed a 2019+ Ford F-350 single axle backing into the spot ahead of me. As I got closer, I could tell that he was REALLY close to the front of the Jeep. I unlocked it remotely which turns on the LED headlights to give the guy a clue there was a vehicle behind him. He proceeds to back into the Jeep and the winch loop was jammed into his receiver.

He pulls forward and gets out. I asked if he saw the Jeep behind him because he backed into it. He proceeds to go on a tirade, yelling at his wife when she states to me that it was an accident. He then yells at me to give him some room so that he could look at the winch loop. Turns on his phone flashlight and says there are a couple of scratches and that it is no big deal and starts to walk away.

I reminded him that the scratches were not there before he backed into it and asked how it happened since he has a backup camera and bumper sensors telling him that he is getting too close. He then tells me that I am being part of the male anatomy. I have relatively thick skin, but at this point, I basically went off and said, "Let me get this straight. You back into my vehicle despite your truck telling you that you were getting close, I turn on the headlights so that you could see there was a vehicle behind you, and somehow I am the jerk? Wow...people like you are what is wrong with the world today." At this point, his wife is giving him the what for and he storms off.

For sure, the scratches are not an issue, but one would have expected at least an apology for backing into someone's vehicle. I guess this guys rolls a completely different way., but karma can be a bitter pill to swallow when it comes full circle.
He was telling his wife not to say that because he felt she was "admitting guilt."..

I would ask more about the Ford driver but I have a pretty good picture the type of individual.

Reactions: GON
You coulda had this guy charged with a Hit and Run depending on how far you wanted to take it.

If you had a Dashcam and just showed up at the police station and became one of those that you realized wasn't going to just go away..

Sounds like you value your time (of your life, really) more than that, though, instead of doing battle with those that MAYBE want to see you on a video screen, and for that, I applaud.

Reactions: GON
From my understanding, it could be an actual hit-and-run and sometimes they won't show, OR leave if they see there's no damage... new age/era police policies, COVID, etc. Just stating that then moving on...

Would be different if there was personal injury or if the cops saw it..
It has been this way for years... nothing has changed lately.

Also, if you get hit at a stoplight from behind by a distracted driver, and there are no apparent injuries and the damage is less than $1500, they won't even write a ticket. They'll observe the exchange of information between the two parties.. and that's it. And this is nothing new either.

In today's America... one has to pick their battles. Kudos to the OP (Grinch).

Escalating this any further could of resulted in some very bad stuff- to include gunshots. That is not unheard of- but should be. People are getting educated by the lowest denominators of media, and often have no clue of what right looks like.

Key is to mitigate issues before bad stuff happens. Can't count on some fellow Americans to act like you do.
Well said, this. I think OP did the right thing in this situation. Take the higher ground and let jerk be at the mercy of Karma and/or his conscious, if either exist.
Escalating the situation over a scratch just isn't worth it.

Also previously stated, an apology by the offender in this situation would have gone a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back