Mercury 60hp 4 stroke outboard oil analysis.

Oil was Delo 15w-40 with a Quicksilver oil filter.

Attachments

• Mercury 60.jpg
    Mercury 60.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 225
Sorry, Had to redo the attachment.. estimated time on engine is 70 hrs and oil was used for around 30hrs / 2 months; Mostly running at around 4000-5000 rpm with some slow idle mixed in. Engine is a 2011 and sat for several years before I picked her up. Oil is Delo SDE 15w-40 conventional.

Last edited:
Sorry, Had to redo the attachment.. estimated time on engine is 70 hrs and oil was used for around 30hrs / 2 months; Mostly running at around 4000-5000 rpm with some slow idle mixed in. Engine is a 2011 and sat for several years before I picked her up. Oil is Delo SDE 15w-40 conventional.

No problem, thanks for posting a UOA.

What lowered the flashpoint, and dropped the pretty stout viscosity of a typical 15w40? RPM? Wonder why they want a narrow grade 10w30 or 25w40! I don't think that I'd use a 30 grade. This 40 worked well for you even though its now a 30 grade.

I'd maybe run the blend or full synthetic Delo's 15w40's, or maybe the Rotella T4/T5/T6 in 15w40 for comparison. Regardless, 100hr seems easy on this oil. What is the recommended timer interval for the oil?

What quicksilver filter PN? cost?
Pretty sure these engines use the 20mm filter, similar to the Supertech MP7317 or Mobil1 M1-110a if you want to compare filters, at other price points.

What lowered the flashpoint, and dropped the pretty stout viscosity of a typical 15w40? RPM? Wonder why they want a narrow grade 10w30 or 25w40! I don't think that I'd use a 30 grade. This 40 worked well for you even though its now a 30 grade.
I'm thinking fuel. Blackstone shows 1.8 % but i think they base that off flashpoint. I'm thinking its higher. Engine may be running a bit rich?

Most outboards suffer from fuel dilution especially during the first 200 hrs. I’ve seen new Yamaha‘s have oil climbing above dipstick full mark due to crankcase fuel. Excess idling and/ or slow break-in seem to be the likely cause. Additionally, these motors run cooler (around 140*F) making it harder to burn off fuel. It seems the best way to combat this is to run a 40wt conventional and change it sooner during infancy, also run them harder and vary the revs to help seat rings.

Greasy- Yes I’m familiar with the cross refs for this filter 20x1.5 the QS filter was around $10

Mercury recommends 100 hours or yearly, I will change every 50hrs.

Nice report thank you. I run my 115 HP 4 stroke Mercury outboard all summer and change oil and filter every year. Those engines are so expensive you don't want to cheap out on maintenance. I only put about 50 hours per year on my big motor however the 9.8 and the Minn Kota electric Terrova get run many more hours.

I think there are some tests that Blackstone does on the cheap. I think Polaris or ALS are the companies to use. ALS (NAPA/WIX) is under $20 on Amazon and includes TBN. Why is anyone using Blackstone?

I think there are some tests that Blackstone does on the cheap. I think Polaris or ALS are the companies to use. ALS (NAPA/WIX) is under $20 on Amazon and includes TBN. Why is anyone using Blackstone?
I’ll try a Napa/ Wix test next time.. Had some Blackstone kits on hand that made it convenient to collect this sample. I do prefer the Format & Averages shown on Blackstone Report over other reports.

I’ll try a Napa/ Wix test next time.. Had some Blackstone kits on hand that made it convenient to collect this sample. I do prefer the Format & Averages shown on Blackstone Report over other reports.
I am not a fan of the Blackstone averages. They do not take mileage into account for the averages which I think makes them invalid. Polaris and ALS probably process 100x the number of UOA that Blackstone does and could provide averages if they felt it would be useful and valid.

For iron a useful average might be FE per 1000 miles.

It needs an oil with no VI that doesn’t shear. The fuel looks normal for any 4-stroke outboard. I’d be curious to see another run on Merc/Quicksilver 25w40 for comparison.

Keep an eye on your oil level. Gas in the oil along with moisture from the atmosphere can make the oil level rise. I have the same motor and try to fill mine to about half way on the stick. Oil level has only ever gone down 1 time but has gone up many times. I am around 1100 hours now. I have run 15w-40 and may again. I bought a surplus of 25w-40 on clearance. Happy boating.

Keep an eye on your oil level. Gas in the oil along with moisture from the atmosphere can make the oil level rise. I have the same motor and try to fill mine to about half way on the stick. Oil level has only ever gone down 1 time but has gone up many times. I am around 1100 hours now. I have run 15w-40 and may again. I bought a surplus of 25w-40 on clearance. Happy boating.
Modern SAE 40s are either 20w40 or 25w40. Most SAE 50s are 25w50.
My pick for an emission controlled 4 stroke outboard would be Havoline SAE 40, API SP/SN+, have a look at the flashpoint.

My outboard runs on 98% fuel dilution. My lawnmower, weedeater and blower uses 97% fuel. The newest one is 10 years old.
That sounds about right. Fifty to one for the outboard and 33:1 for the weed whacker.
My old old Husky chainsaw, a 285 CD stated 3% oil/gas ratio in the owners' manual.
Easy in metric. I'll mix 100ml oil with 3.3L gasoline for 33:1
Once that I have several empty 100 & 200ml bottles, I'll refill them from a 4L jug of Shell Ultra synthetic.

Last edited:
Back