Mercon V / Maxlife for Ford AOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '89 Lincoln Town Car and want to change the ATF fluid and filter soon. It has the Ford AOD transmission. I was going to use either Motorcraft Mercon V or Valvoline Maxlife, but I found some discussion at a different forum that stated Mercon V fluids were not good for the clutches. This could have been the original formula of Mercon V, which may have been updated, or maybe it was just not factual. I haven't seen or heard any other reference to this.

Has anyone here had issues using either Mercon V or Maxlife in a Ford AOD application?

Last edited:
Your 89 does not need the highly friction modified Mercon V fluid at all, I'd personally use a standard Mercon III/IV fluid that it called for.

Sounds reasonable, and makes sense. I'll just find the regular Valvoline or Castrol Dex/Merc instead of the Mercon V or Maxlife. I group the Maxlife with Mercon V since it supposedly meets the modern ATF specifications (Dex VI, Mercon V & LV).

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Your 89 does not need the highly friction modified Mercon V fluid at all, I'd personally use a standard Mercon III/IV fluid that it called for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
I've got an '89 Lincoln Town Car and want to change the ATF fluid and filter soon. It has the Ford AOD transmission. I was going to use either Motorcraft Mercon V or Valvoline Maxlife, but I found some discussion at a different forum that stated Mercon V fluids were not good for the clutches. This could have been the original formula of Mercon V, which may have been updated, or maybe it was just not factual. I haven't seen or heard any other reference to this.

Has anyone here had issues using either Mercon V or Maxlife in a Ford AOD application?

I like the CASTROL MERC V... Max Life Im sure is good but it a multi vehicle ATF...

Read specs of Castrol V.. I like how its CERTIFED and APPROVED by FORD.. MAX LIFE is not it just says suitable for Mercron V... Not even recommended.. just suitable.
I would really go with Castrol.. read the specs and info and you will do the right thing.

Read the specs

Product Data – Castrol Transmax Mercon V ATF
PRODUCT DATA
Castrol Transmax™ MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
Castrol Transmax™ MERCON® V Transmission Fluid is for use in most Ford vehicles.
Features and Benefits

Enhanced friction durability provides superior transmission life and promotes smooth shifting

Exceptional thermal protection guards against transmission wear

Certified and approved by Ford for all cars
and trucks that require
MERCON® or MERCON® V

Do not use this ATF in applications calling for MERCON® SP or Type F
Warranty and Protection Requirements

Exceeds all passenger car and light truck m
anufacturer’s warranty requirements for vehicles,
transmissions or power steering service where a
MERCON® or MERCON® V type ATF is specified
Industry Specifications and OEM Approvals

Meets or exceeds Ford MERCON® V and Ford MERCON® Requirements

MERCON® V Approved and Licensed by Ford Motor Company
Typical Properties*
Test Method Typical Results
Viscosity at 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 35
Viscosity at 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 7.4
Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270 186
Color, Typical ASTM D-1500 7
Appearance Red
Brookfield Viscosity at -40 C, cP ASTM D-2983 9,800
Pour Point, ºC (ºF) ASTM D-97 -35(-31)
Flash Point, °C (°F) ASTM D-92 180(356)
Specific Gravity, 60°F ASTM D-1298 0.862
Pounds per Gallon ASTM D-287 7.17

David, you make a very good point about certified and approved. That is one reason why I use Castrol Mercon V in my Ford Taurus mixed with Mobil 1 ATF.

Sometimes though certain transmissions like the AOD aren't as picky about ATF as certain FWD transverse transmissions.

That being said, Maxlife has certainly proved reliable in many applications even if it doesn't have the approvals of the manufacturer. I think Maxlife would work well in his AOD.

Also I believe your car has a drain plug on the convertor which is very useful for removing all of the dirty fluid.

Some information here about it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1820207

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back