barium
mag 4- 35

antimony
van 2- 1

vis cs 40c 28.1- 25

vis cs 100c 5.9- 5.4

v.i. 164- 157

t.b.n. 2.75- 3.15

tell me what you all think! i don't know much about tranny fluid, but it don't look good. also the owners manual say don't change the pan filter but i was glad i did when i cut it apart.

[ February 03, 2006, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

don't know how i mess up my post

voa 20,000 milie
iron 1 70
chromium 1 1
nickel 1 1
alum 1 25
lead 1 64
copper 1 99
tin 1 3
silver 1 1
titan 1 1
silcon 4 14
boron 118 44
sodium 6 2
pot 10 10
moly 5 5
phos 323 213
zinc 4 98
calcim 251 32
barium 10 10
mag 4 35
antimony 30 30
van 2 1
vis cs 40c 28.1 25
vis cs 100c 5.9 5.4
v.i. 164 157
tbn 2.75 3.15

what do you all think?

I think I've never seen any lubricant's TBN go UP during an interval.
I'll be curious to see whether or not any of our expert posters have to say about that.

Aside from that, it tells a fairly simple story.
Metals go up copper and iron, while lead and aluminimum follow at a slower rate.
Your additives decreased at a noteworthy rate.
Calcium in particular went from 251 to 32, an *87%* drop.
Boron went from 118 to 44, a 68% drop.
Phosphorous went from 323 to 213, a 34% drop.

I wish I could tell you what the increase in metals means, but I don't understand those fully in the context of transmission analysis.
I can tell you that your metal numbers, while I don't know if they're good or bad, are not in the ranges we see for genuinely bad transmissions on the verge of failure. Faint consolation, I know, but we barely get enough ATF UOA on here for even a focused layman to get the big picture.

As far as the additives went, I feel safe saying your calcium was no longer doing much in the way of helping, while the boron was probably not good for that many more miles. The phosphorous is probably still in the game, and whatever function the antimony is fullfilling, it should still be doing it.
I wish I knew more about ATF UOAs.
I assume you changed this?
If someone showed me the numbers you just posted and they belonged to my vehicle, I'd be inclined to sample again in another 15,000 miles after this ATF change. Perhaps your vehicle will start going through its additives slower once the tranny is broken in. Or, perhaps an expert will tell us that the add pack is supposed to sacrifice itself early in the game. Since your TBN actually went up, maybe the calcium is designed to use up quickly and give you boosted TBN numbers.

have only towed twice, one trip ,a car on the taiilor for about 300 miles, which should not show any effect. the tranny also has a factory bypass filter up near the cooler,i have a oil lab at my work ,they can do some testing but they sent my sample off to Analysts.Inc. they done some test on my bypass filter (a wound roll of tight tolit paper),it showed to be filtering down to 3.5 microns. this sample shows 7 microns and below. so all the metal could be below 3.5 microns. who knows??? i also ask our oil guy at work about the tbn ,he said just a chemical reaction. that was his guess. thanks

Seems to me this would indicate you need to change fluid at 20,000 mile intervals. Your copper and iron are about at a reasonable limit with lead close behind. You might try a little longer interval but not much.

thanks for the reply,this section don't get alot of action .i changed the fluid ,but can only get 9 of the 19 quarts, the conv. dont have a drain. could anybody have the universal average for used tranny fliud, so i can compare mine to? sometime you see these listed next to the results on a oil analysis.

Since you only drained out half, I'd stick with the ~15k change interval.

There aren't enough UOAs for trannies to draw any conclusions. But, this fluid doesn't look all that bad.

Do you have pictures of that ATF filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back