Mercon LV in a Mercon PS system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2005 Explorer came from the factory with Mercon ATF as it PS fluid. I've done some "turkey baster" type fluid exchanges with various Mercon type ATF fluids. A while back I mistakenly picked up 2 quarts of Castrol synthetic LV ATF fluid instead of the Mercon type. Is there a problem with using the Castrol LV ATF with it's lower viscosity and will it play nice with the Mercon in the system. I'm not going to do a hose disconnect, just more "turkey baster" fluid exchanges. The vehicle has ~195,000 miles on it and I've been doing "tb" fluid exchange for a number of years. Though recently a PS hose on the ps rack broke and was replaced. It doesn't seem any serious harm happened. But I doubt they did a complete flush, just replenished what fluid was lost.

Whimsey

I have ST Dexron VI in my 2003 Grand Marquis PS system in my sig-I was having trouble in subfreezing temps with the PS pump groaning & erratic power steering until it idled 5-10 minutes. It has worked really well, I've put around 1500 miles on it since then, even lessened the odd pulsations I was getting at highway speeds. Mercon LV & Dex VI are nearly interchangeable-my indy mechanic uses Kendall VersaTrans LV in place of both when he does flushes.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I have ST Dexron VI in my 2003 Grand Marquis PS system in my sig-I was having trouble in subfreezing temps with the PS pump groaning & erratic power steering until it idled 5-10 minutes. It has worked really well, I've put around 1500 miles on it since then, even lessened the odd pulsations I was getting at highway speeds. Mercon LV & Dex VI are nearly interchangeable-my indy mechanic uses Kendall VersaTrans LV in place of both when he does flushes.

Did you do a complete ps system flush or just "turkey baster" exchanges when you went with Dexron VI?

Whimsey

My 2010 Ranger has gotten the best results with Mobil 1 Multi Vehicle ATF. 1qt did 4 reservoir drain/refills. I did 1 full left and full right turn drain/refill, I figured the piston going both ways would get more fluid refreshed.

My 2002 Lincoln calls for Mercon V and that's all I use. I want the extra 1.5 cSt of viscosity that it comes with over the LV's. I'm sure lots of people have used the LV and never noticed a difference, especially on cars towards their end of life. For people that never change their ps fluid the LV could likely be the higher viscosity fluid after 15K-40K miles.

PS needs a 20WT oil. I changed a rusty line on the PS rack on my Tbird (totally not fun job) and the manual says type F, I believe the last year of that. Ford never updated the spec, and dealers carry the fluid. Meanwhile with all those miles the rack does not leak and it is still quiet.

Also, FYI, it is not enough to flush your fluid, at the bottom of the remote PS tank on the Tbird( and even on Fords to this day) there is a nylon filter that was pretty clogged. I cleaned out the whole thing with advance auto brake cleaner, let dry overnight. It was extremely dirty. Steering is a bit lighter at idle. I flushed fluid (had many miles on it when I got the car) but never cleaned the tank.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Also, the Tbird has the same variable PS system as the grand marquis, there could be a sticking pressure valve that the lighter fluid helps with. It is supposed to give assist on evasive maneuvers at highway speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back