Mercedes owners: best riding E class

I currently own my 2nd W124 and it's my favorite chassis and always will be but my only grip with the car is the ride. It's perfect over good road suface and at high speed, good over speed bumps but rough when the surface gets crappy with a lot of small imprefections (terrible on the patched roads we have everywhere).

I kinda want to "upgrade" to something smoother as a daily driver as this is getting tiring. I used to own a S124 with the SLS suspension, thought it was excellent and kept thinking that standard W124s where the same but i've been a bit disappointed so far

How do they really compare? How much softer/smoother is a W210 or W211? All my W202s where also a bit smoother than the W124s. Could you please share your experience. At this point i am almost tempted to buy a Citroën unless the W211 fits my needs.

mercedes steel suspension ride quality is always going to be poor at best compared to just about any french car

anyways the 210 is much better than the 124 in every way other than rusting out fast

Have you considered going through the suspension on the W124
+1
At that age (assuming you are referring to the 1993 in you sig.), all the suspension bushings will be old and hard and if they haven't already failed, they will soon.
Seems like this is at least the second thread you've started on the subject.

+1
At that age (assuming you are referring to the 1993 in you sig.), all the suspension bushings will be old and hard and if they haven't already failed, they will soon.
Seems like this is at least the second thread you've started on the subject.
IMO bushing on German cars are good for 5 years, 10 at best.

I thought standard W124's had a good ride but Sportline suspension was optional on the W124 which stiffened and lowered the car. Might you have that option.

I'm tempted to drop the subframe and rebuild the whole thing including diff mounts etc. I just don't know how much smoother it will be and if buying another car as a daily driver is not a more sensible option.

I'm tempted to drop the subframe and rebuild the whole thing including diff mounts etc. I just don't know how much smoother it will be and if buying another car as a daily driver is not a more sensible option.
If you're buying another older car it will need all the same work done.

I don't know the history or condition of your W124 but it sounds like the suspension is just worn out.

Most European cars other that Rolls or Bentley will ride firm. What is your budget and do you have access to American cars? A 2000's Lincoln Town Car or full size Buick would fit the bill. Even a Chevy Impala.

Thanks. It's true that if i want an older car that rides like new, i will have to replace a lot of parts, being a W124 or even a W211. I'll test drive one to see how it compares.

I always thought my w123 and my w126 rode smooth over bad roads. (I mostly compared them to my Saabs...) Then my Saab mechanic, who also had a love for french cars, put me in the back seats of a DS Pallas and went for a test ride on the worst roads in the local area.

NOTHING compares to Citroen hydropneumatic suspension. That said, for a cenventional car, w210 ride really nice. But w124 ain't bad neither.
(One day, I want to have a CX GTI or Prestige. Or an XM v6... But XM electronics and maintenance scare me.)

Last edited:
My W210 came from my FIL. I got it at about 178K and it was pretty clapped out. Re-worked the entire suspension including frame mounts and I use it as my "highway car" for business traveling. Rides smooth and comfortably with the added sheep skin seat covers, has plenty of power (V8) and I get 26 MPG highway.

I used to own a W123 and now have a W211. The W123 was a nice cruiser, partly because of the interesting seat mechanism the Benz engineers had on there. It handled ponderously in the city, but rode nicely going 70-75 mph.
The W211 on the other hand, is sharp for my tastes, both in town and on the highway. The low profile 18” are harsher, comparatively speaking, than the 15” wheels on the W123 on the larger potholes around here.

Base Gen 1 volvo s60 was a surprisingly excellent cruiser. It didn’t have wide wheels and tires, and the suspension had a ton of travel. I remember a 9 hour drive through snow and frozen slush that just pounded mile after mile at 30 mph. I’ve never seen a vehicle handle that much suspension abuse and remain rattle free inside and out. it swallowed bumps and large potholes very well for its size. Plus… the seats…

basic bmw 3 series surprises me as well. They can eat up some road trash quite well without upsetting the chassis. the one I test drove was very good at keeping all of its feet on the ground. Not a performance model… just a plain Jane 328.

I’d look into your suspension…. My w124 doesn’t handle and ride as you indicate.

if you want softer, a w126 may be a good exchange. They float more because of longer wheelbase, softer suspension, etc.

I’d look into your suspension…. My w124 doesn’t handle and ride as you indicate.

if you want softer, a w126 may be a good exchange. They float more because of longer wheelbase, softer suspension, etc.
Im pretty sure my subframe mounts are the problem. I had someone shift between R, N and D while i was under the car and i could see movement in one of them. Confirms that bushings are shot/hard. I can even hear a light clunk when the transmission is downshifting, possibly diff mounts.

Back