Mercedes-Maybach EQS 680 Brief drive review

Drove the EQS 680 recently, on a couple of short jaunts.

It's a $200K, luxury, Maybach electric awd SUV with about 650HP and a slightly over 100kWh battery. This good sized beast has pretty epic 4 wheel steering and will turn around in about 2 lanes! First things first, it's a soft riding boat in a very good way. Rides like one, drives like one, handles like one. Smooth, exceptionally quiet, stupidly comfortable, and really not that responsive in any way. But if you want fast, and comfy, this thing fits the requirements.

I'm a sports car guy, and if the car is not hyper responsive, I tend not to like it. But I must admit, I could grow to enjoy this beast. It does go when asked, and in Florida, where the only corner is the occasional exit ramp on I-95, the configuration works magically.

The Maybach touch is not really for me, as I tend not to care that much for anything but a comfortable seat. Even so, there is no denying, this thing is a step above in luxury. The full span digital dash is amazing, and well, I love it. Although, I've not driven it at night, so I'm not sure if it dims down enough for my liking.

2023_mercedes-maybach_eqs-680-suv_front-interior_1_717.jpg

Would you say it is a step enough above an S class, to call it a Maybach? That is pretty!
All the current Maybachs otherwise are on the S Class platform so I’m sure this is materials and tech like it is.

I like the idea of it, but the outside styling of all the EQ line reminds me of the VW ID.4. The interior is spectacular though.

All the current Maybachs otherwise are on the S Class platform so I’m sure this is materials and tech like it is.

I like the idea of it, but the outside styling of all the EQ line reminds me of the VW ID.4. The interior is spectacular though.
I'm not sure about the VW ID.4 looks. But the exterior doesn't float my boat. It just doesn't look distinguished enough to wear the MB badge, let alone be called a Maybach. But I'm with you about the interior. It is absolutely stunning.

I'm not sure about the VW ID.4 looks. But the exterior doesn't float my boat. It just doesn't look distinguished enough to wear the MB badge, let alone be called a Maybach. But I'm with you about the interior. It is absolutely stunning.
I guess I should clarify that. It doesn’t look like an ID.4. It just shares that blob styling.

It's a $200K, luxury, Maybach electric awd SUV with about 650HP and a slightly over 100kWh battery. This good sized beast has pretty epic 4 wheel steering and will turn around in about 2 lanes! First things first, it's a soft riding boat in a very good way. Rides like one, drives like one, handles like one. Smooth, exceptionally quiet, stupidly comfortable, and really not that responsive in any way. But if you want fast, and comfy, this thing fits the requirements.

I'm a sports car guy, and if the car is not hyper responsive, I tend not to like it. But I must admit, I could grow to enjoy this beast. It does go when asked, and in Florida, where the only corner is the occasional exit ramp on I-95, the configuration works magically.

The Maybach touch is not really for me, as I tend not to care that much for anything but a comfortable seat. Even so, there is no denying, this thing is a step above in luxury. The full span digital dash is amazing, and well, I love it. Although, I've not driven it at night, so I'm not sure if it dims down enough for my liking.

What an amazing treat that you got to spend time in that flagship. It's not a G-650 by any stretch, but at least you'd be comfortable being picked up by one at the FBO.
Thanks for sharing the experience.

This is what it looks like, a nice shade of white :ROFLMAO: , perfect for FL.

It's supposed to have 280 miles of range, but I don't think it can realistically go quite that far at Florida highway speeds, the guy that drives it regularly says he goes 200 miles between charges. And judging by the tire wear, it probably has fairly short tire life.... Even so, I think it's probably a good choice for a modest highway trip, as it charges fast, at 200kW to over 50%.

a363b4b523698a272f5ed9060673c204.jpg

Last edited:

2023_mercedes-maybach_eqs-680-suv_front-interior_1_717.jpg
Stop driving and hire a Driver - problem solved !

How much roof glass is in that thing?
A lot of these electrics like to go overboard on glass roofs, not ideal in Florida.
Kinda the car I was going for when I found my 2018 in my sig. Even with air suspension though, it has a firmer (German) ride to it. very responsive though. Now I suppose if I threw about a half ton of batteries underneath, that would change dramatically. :)

Knowing Mercedes, I'm sure if you look for it, you'll find a sport mode of some kind, which might ease you handling pain a bit.

Back