Mercedes 3.5L engine ticking sound

My 18 GLE has a distinct ticking sound coming from the firewall and took it to the stealership.
They told me a high pressure fuel pump is the sound and its "normal" although its annoying
Any idea if a new ticking sound is expected from these engines - it has 12K on it.

Is it the M276 engine? If yes, it is totally normal. My E350 has almost 70k miles, and I've been hearing the clicking sound since I bought the car. But I can't hear it from the cabin. I only hear it when I have the hood up.

It seems to be a common complaint with no MB resolution at this time, at least you have had it looked at and documented. If they do come with a TSB I would guess it will be in the form of some sort of isolation pad or sound insulation as it seems to be a little too close to the firewall.

Yes it’s the venerable 3.5L GLE350 but it makes me nervous the sound started all of a sudden. My loaner 3.5L was silent and refined!! The service tech is going to show me another engine of this type with the same sound coming from the firewall tomorrow. When coming to a stop hear this sound reducing and then cutting off - at high speeds only hear the road noise. Hoping they put it in a lift and determined is a normal sound.

My 15 yr Highlander with 220K is silent even today!! I personally like engineering to be simple - the more the sophistication the more the problems

Back