MENARDS - PUROLATOR

I have found over the past two years or so that Menards is a good place to find deals on oil. If they are selling Puro Boss filters now at that price I might end up getting a few in the future.
Cut the filters open, there isn't much difference except the box...

I have made it a New Years Resolution to not go into Advance Auto this year, however, they have the Purolator filter as $4.99 on the shelf then I think it rings up as $5.99 and sometimes I am tempted.

Cut the filters open, there isn't much difference except the box...

There is a LOT of difference between the Boss and the other Puro filters, the synthetic media alone is huge considering Puro's reputation for tearing cellulose media. Aside from that the Boss is built like a tank, my biggest concern is the ADBV getting sliced while in usage. Below is a nice comparison video:

Why would you buy a Boss over an Ultra?
The Ultra is even far cheaper at retail

Menards has frequent sales, rebates, and other promotions. No need to fixate on the retail price of anything there in light of that fact.

In fact I do find it somewhat interesting how often folks on BITOG get fixated on retail pricing at stores such as AAP when it is common knowledge that ANYONE can easily get a $5 off coupon and a 20% or even 25% discount code. We have an entire sub-forum on this site dedicated to deal hunting and yet we have people who frequent it who act appalled that AAP will retail a Fram Titanium oil filter for $15 while completely disregarding how it takes minimal effort to get that price below that of an equivalent Fram Ultra oil filter at Walmart.

Went to my local MENARDS yesterday and the automotive shelf was well stacked with PUROLATOR oil filters, from memory,
$10.99 Boss
$6.99 Pure One
$4.49 Red OE
I thought it was decent pricing.
Thanks!

Not bad! I usually get the Boss on Amazon for $8.19

Why would you buy a Boss over an Ultra?
The Ultra is even far cheaper at retail

1. Not everyone loves to shop at Walmart 😁😉
2. I don't care for the black ultragrip they use,give me a full steel can please
3. Now if I'm not paying attention to the price of the Boss on Amazon, I can get it at Menards

2. I don't care for the black ultragrip they use,give me a full steel can please
3. Now if I'm not paying attention to the price of the Boss on Amazon, I can get it at Menards
I don’t shop at wal mart either. I can get WIX on rock auto cheaper also. Least a fram ultra doesn’t tear like Purolator that I personally have cut open. OOPS!!! 🙊🙊🙈🙈

While Amazon has the absolute lowest price, you could get it from Menards if you needed it right now instead of in a day or two.. I agree.

As far as I know, Purolator is not available at Walmart.

I don’t shop at wal mart either. I can get WIX on rock auto cheaper also. Least a fram ultra doesn’t tear like Purolator that I personally have cut open. OOPS!!! 🙊🙊🙈🙈

Let me know when you take a Boss apart and it has a tear in the media,same with the Wix XP. I don't know how the media in either of these will be torn.

Last edited:

I don't think you can get Purolator at Walmart.

Auto Zone doesn't carry them, either, at least the ones I went to but I would imagine the chain dropped them from inventory.

If I want Purolator its either that $5 (rings up $6, I should make a scene but that's why I don't go in there in the first place) Advance Auto or Amazon...

Let me know when you take a Boss apart and it has a tear in the media 😂

But that synthetic media though... 🤣🤣🤣

It better have something fancy schmantzy to make it justify the cost more or else you're just paying for a pretty box.

I never purchased one at Walmart- they can be obtained anywhere as you know.
What's inside counts- not outside.
But that said, that's why we have choice for now in the USA. Later? Maybe not.👌😍

I have made it a New Years Resolution to not go into Advance Auto this year, however, they have the Purolator filter as $4.99 on the shelf then I think it rings up as $5.99 and sometimes I am tempted.

So Far I been able to keep my resolution. Store has horrible service, always tries to get my phone number (I always tell them no but it annoys me I even have to do that) and I just decided there isn't anything in there I can get somewhere else.

Sure, they have an L14460 for less than they have it on Amazon for (?) but I decided to just get the Tokyo Roki filter from a Mazda, no need to go into the store. 👎

I don't think you can get Purolator at Walmart.
They use to be in Walmarts, but I haven't seen them for quite a while. Probably was moving less than the other brands for some reason.

They use to be in Walmarts, but I haven't seen them for quite a while. Probably was moving less than the other brands for some reason.

I was surprised when I saw AutoZone (or A-ZONE lol) dropped them too.

Back