Meguiars Hyper Dressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I use HD on engines, tires and wheel liners. I use 303 on other interior and exterior plastics and rubber. HD is far less expensive and I think it does best when lightly sprayed on and left to migrate. I would not leave it on interior plastic and it is not very practical to spray so much on other exterior areas. It leaves a slight film but it also washes off very easily. To me, this is good as it makes those areas easy to clean. I use it at 4:1 for a more matte look and 2:1 when I want some gloss. I little goes a long way. HD seems to have this magical property and migrates to surrounding plastic and rubber. Just a light mist on engine parts and walk away."

I agree with what this guy said on another forum. The Infinity Wax I used two weeks ago already faded completely so I decided to try Hyper Dressing at 4:1. This stuff lays and spreads amazingly well. By far the best of any product I've used in the engine bay. Of all the dressings I've used (303/Sonus Motorkote), Hyper Dressing lays the best. I would only use a 4:1 (I'm even thinking 5:1 next) as anything more is much too glossy for my taste. Unless you're detailing the engine by hand (I may try Polish Angel Engine), I think Hyper is the way to go. 303 isn't really going to offer more protection under the hood IMO. On plastic interior surfaces, it will due to the higher UV protection, but under the engine it's just another water-based dressing.

I guess you can look at durability two ways - having it come off easy is good as you said because it makes those areas easy to clean. For more durability I think something like Polish Angel Engine would be best because it contains oils, which nourish the plastics and rubber. Sonus would also likely hold up a bit better but I wasn't too impressed with Sonus.

Going forward I'll be using Hyper Dressing on all cars and if for some reason I wanted more durability, I'd use Polish Angel Engine.

**You literally don't have to touch this stuff. You spray it all over the engine and let it dry. Quite impressive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Interesting thread. Question... I've never used any products in my engine bay. I just keep them clean with occasional hand cleaning using a bucket of hot water and some brushes.

Is this Hyper Dressing a vaseline-like coating you see used by dealers on their used cars for sale that ends up being a sticky dirt magnet?

It is bc I didn't dilute it right. This was 3:1, not 4:1. User error.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Interesting thread. Question... I've never used any products in my engine bay. I just keep them clean with occasional hand cleaning using a bucket of hot water and some brushes.

Is this Hyper Dressing a vaseline-like coating you see used by dealers on their used cars for sale that ends up being a sticky dirt magnet?

No it's not sticky unless you use it straight 1:1. At 4:1 it's perf.

Originally Posted by PimTac
You must have a garage filled with partially used bottles of assorted stuff.

Did you think anybody on BITOG doesn't??

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by PimTac
You must have a garage filled with partially used bottles of assorted stuff.

Did you think anybody on BITOG doesn't??

I don't.

Here we go again..... Where do you buy it, that has the stuff in stock? I called Wal-Mart, O'reilly, Car Quest, Auto Zone, as well as a few local parts outlets in town, and none of them even heard of it. And I don't want to buy a gallon of it out of the gate. But they all informed me they have 2,367 other types of tire and plastic dressing on hand.

Originally Posted by billt460
Here we go again..... Where do you buy it, that has the stuff in stock? I called Wal-Mart, O'reilly, Car Quest, Auto Zone, as well as a few local parts outlets in town, and none of them even heard of it. And I don't want to buy a gallon of it out of the gate. But they all informed me they have 2,367 other types of tire and plastic dressing on hand.

Then don't buy it. LOL. It's available on Amazon and via Autogeek.

Originally Posted by billt460
Tire dressing, like motor oil, isn't something I want to "send away for".

I understand. I'm like that with oil. Being I clean my engines so much, the Hyper-Dressing in a gallon is something I don't mind ordering.
cheers3.gif

LOL

I found out today that you can use Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine in the engine.

I put HD on the tires at 5:1. Pics are day after some light rain. I'll be taking the truck on the beach tomorrow so I'll see how well it holds up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible. I've taken it on the beach 2x and off-roading once.

I feel HD is a bit underrated for durability. Someone on AG had mentioned that and I didn't believe them at first, being it's a water based product. It does hold up longer than expected. I drove through some water yesterday several times (salt water) and was on the beach. Power-washed after. Still looks decent all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back