Mechanic used smittys super S multi flow

Hello everyone,

I know smittys super s multi flow pcmo has been discussed here off and on throughout the years. My mechanic, fed my 2007 4runner a healthy diet of chevron supreme for several years. All at the tune of $30 bucks per oil change which IMO can’t be beat.

Just this past oil change I saw he started using super s 5w-30 syn blend. They have api SP certs and that should be all I need. I can’t help but think this super s might be even lower quality than most generics on the shelves since it’s price point was so low and it’s from a small blender that not many know about (10 bucks per 5 quarts at Kmart for a while). I’ve read posts here claiming it’s a blend that only contains 10% group III/IV base stocks. The spec sheet shows an average add pack with a small hit of moly and decent slug of boron, Tbn of 7.1, and high noack of almost 14% (I believe this is the sn or sn+ Variety)

You guys think I’ll be fine for my regular 5-6k runs? I have a 50 mile round trip commute most days of the week where I do 75-80 mph. Car has 160k on it.

Thanks

Why would you think this oil is not as good as any other? All oils are made to the lowest cost possible. I would say you are changing your oil too often with the kind of driving you are doing.

Why would you think this oil is not as good as any other? All oils are made to the lowest cost possible. I would say you are changing your oil too often with the kind of driving you are doing.
High noack, average add pack, and the fact that smittys actually got fined years back for releasing product that didn’t meet requirements.

The truck was using a qt of whatever brand 5w30 every 1200 miles. I went to super-s high milage 10w30 and after a few thousand miles consumption all but stopped. I changed it every 5k and the oil level was still in the safe zone on the dipstick @ 5k.
That’s great to hear. What did you switch to? Is the consumption back?

Chevron supreme is a syn blend I dont think you'll find any 5w20,30 & 10w30 that's not a blend. Besides smitty is a fine oil I would not overthink this. They may have gone into a partnership or bought out by shell if someone can confirm this

They're using shell logo for their online chat. Bottom right of screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211212-083454_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211212-083454_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 87
This used to be Menard's ultra bargain brand. It seems to have been replaced with the FVP brand. Probably OK, but I'd pass on them both if given the choice. That fine they got was only from 5 years ago, so not like it's some ancient history.

That’s great to hear. What did you switch to? Is the consumption back?
I was running whatever was on sale. When I switched to Super-S high milage oil consumption stopped. I always used that oil since then. We sold the truck a couple years ago to a friend and he is still driving it daily. It had 182k when we sold it. I assume it's pretty close to 200 k by now

I used this oil a few times in a Monte Carlo I used to own. I won’t use it again anytime soon.

PQIA found that the oil didn’t meet certain specs.

They're using shell logo for their online chat. Bottom right of screenshot
I noticed this too. But in the chat barely any of the products come up in a drop down. There was talk that smittys actually makes rotella products for shell

Back