Meat Loaf Dead at 74

Back when you needed talent and know how to plan an instrument to make it as a musician. RIP

Meatloaf did an interview with the announcers of the Mets during a game a many years ago. He told the story on air that when Bat out of Hell was finished, it was too long to fit on a then standard 33.33 rpm LP album. They wanted him to re-record some songs to make them shorter so it would fit. He said he refused to do that because the songs were, to him, perfect. The record company instead sped up the songs during the pressing of the master so it would fit. This was before auto tune and modern software so the result was the pitch of his voice was raised to what you hear on the record. He joked that he had to go back and relearn to sing them faster and at higher than his natural pitch because the sound on the album set the sound standard that the concert audience expected. This came from his lips so I believe it.

I love that he knew how corny and over-the-top his sound and shows were, and he just lived it - never apologized, just said ‘yeah, this is what I do, and I love it!’

Rock on forever, Meatloaf!

Guy had a larger than life sound and presence, and genuinely seemed to enjoy what he did. I've probably listened to "Bat Out of Hell" from start to finish at least 40 or 50 times. The album never gets old and, by my estimation, remains one of the greatest rock albums of the 20th century. Rest easy Meat. Respect.

Guy had a larger than life sound and presence, and genuinely seemed to enjoy what he did. I've probably listened to "Bat Out of Hell" from start to finish at least 40 or 50 times. The album never gets old and, by my estimation, remains one of the greatest rock albums of the 20th century. Rest easy Meat. Respect.
"You took the words right out of my mouth."

Reactions: FZ1
Meatloaf won a Grammy Award for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance in 1994. Some other winners in other years? Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan. For those who missed his big come-back in 1993, the song "I'd do Anything for Love" went to the top of the Charts all the way around the world including the USA and Canada.

Last edited:
I love that he knew how corny and over-the-top his sound and shows were, and he just lived it - never apologized, just said ‘yeah, this is what I do, and I love it!’

Rock on forever, Meatloaf!
I like how he broke his dry spell with Bat Out of Hell II, just because he felt like it, and "I'd do anything for Love" went number one.

Meatloaf won a Grammy Award for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance in 1994. Some other winners in other years? Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan. For those who missed his big come-back in 1993, the song "I'll do Anything for Love" went to the top of the Charts all the way around the world including the USA and Canada.

I like the full version of that song. It is, in my opinion, an uncredited Rock Opera.

A large part of Meatloaf’s success was his collaboration with Jim Steinman, the song writer and promoter who wrote his songs. Imagine this. Steinman wrote and arranged the 7 songs on their first album, Bat Out Of Hell. They recorded the album after being turned down by many record labels. After a slow start, with the appropriate promotion and guest appearances by Meatloaf, the album went on to sell 44 million copies. It’s what all rock musicians dream about.

Last edited:
Fascinating thread..... I had no idea Meatloaf was so loved and had such a big following.

Back