Mean Green Degreaser

Hey everyone,

Just a potential cost-saving measure I wanted to share with all of you. I used to use brake cleaner to clean off residual oil from oil pans, etc. during an oil change. At about 4 dollars a can it added up quickly.

Over the last 4 or 5 years I've switched to using Mean Green degreaser in a small spray bottle for cleaning residual oil during an oil change. Spray it directly on the pan, etc. and give it a quick wipe down. It is also good at getting oil spots off of concrete. For me it works as good if not better than brake cleaner.

The best part? You can get a gallon of concentrate for about 6 bucks at Walmart. I mix it 50/50 with water and it's still quite stout. That's 2 gallons of degreaser for about $6. Additionally, it doesn't have the harsh fumes that brake cleaner has.

Last edited:
The best part? You can get a gallon of concentrate for about 6 bucks at Walmart. I mix it 50/50 with water and it's still quite stout. That's 2 gallons of degreaser for about $6. Additionally, it doesn't have the harsh fumes that brake cleaner has.
No, the best part is that it's biodegradeable.
Can't say that with many other cleaners out there.

Thanks for the tip. I have a bottle of mean green - use it to clean bicycle chains and other greasy things. Never though of using it for other things.

No problem. The only time I need brake cleaner now is if I'm doing brake work.

Last edited:
The best engine cleaner I've found is Simple Green, undiluted, straight from the bottle on a COLD engine. Back the vehicle out of the garage, and spray the engine compartment completely.

I use one of those cheap 1/2 gallon pump up sprayers from Harbor Freight. That way your fingers won't fall off trying to pump it out fast enough with a trigger spray.

Let it soak for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with a low pressure hose nozzle. (No pressure washers). After it's thoroughly rinsed I blow off as much as I can with a 30 PSI air nozzle.

Then start the vehicle and let it run until the engine is up to temperature, and the thermostat opens. I've never had an issue with this product or method in over 30 years, on countless vehicles.

Uy50Lf0.jpg

Hey everyone,

Just a potential cost-saving measure I wanted to share with all of you. I used to use brake cleaner to clean off residual oil from oil pans, etc. during an oil change. At about 4 dollars a can it added up quickly.

Over the last 4 or 5 years I've switched to using Mean Green degreaser in a small spray bottle for cleaning residual oil during an oil change. Spray it directly on the pan, etc. and give it a quick wipe down. It is also good at getting oil spots off of concrete. For me it works as good if not better than brake cleaner.

Ace hardware has this. It cleans really well

I will try some Mean Green as I just ran out of such cleaner.

I've been using "Purple Power" with great success. I put it full strength in a small, pin-point sprayer.
Whatever water I need is what I wash it down/off with. I use a coarse kitchen Scotch Bright and It works like a charm.

I also just got a large bottle of `Fabuloso". It too is purple colored and seems to be working around the house well.
I haven't tried it anywhere near a vehicle yet.

Back