Me and my Ariens Snow thrower

Old Face full. Re-powered 1/15 with a 212CC Predator engine. Topped off pumpkin when I dug it out of the shed 2wks ago. Friday I aired up the tires, but didn;t start it. Started it Sat PM to clear a path to move gen-set into place. To be ready for the expected power outage. Which never happened. Needed a shot of carb clnr to start blower due to the 2yr old gas. Today, 9AM @ 12F I suited up and went out to clear the driveway. I pulled the starter twice just slowly pulling the engine over. 3rd time, I gave it a yank and it started without needing a prime this time. The depth of the snow varied from 0 to 2'. In the deepest snow it took 3 passes to clear. It was cold enough so only the bottom 2" was slushy. Driveway is about 150' long plus turnaround and parking spots. Done and eating brunch @ 11:30. Came back to snow blower parked in shed. Augur and chute are frozen solid. I dug out my heat gun, tested it, works good. I'll clean it manana. :cool:

The depth of the snow varied from 0 to 2'. In the deepest snow it took 3 passes to clear.
We heard that you got hammered up there. I had three inches here, but it was very cold and windy. The plows have been losing to the drifts, but it is under control now. Glad to hear that a Predator 212cc can get the job done. I haven't had to fire up the Ariens with the 254cc AX engine yet, but there is plenty of winter left.

Reactions: JC1
What size is the Ariens 24"? My Toro 826le is repowered with a 10.5 HP (353 cc) engine. That thing is a beast when the snow is heavy.

I had a Craftsman 24" with a 208cc and it wasn't powerful enough of the end of driveway mess that can build up.

I'm on the main street to the subdivision, so the plows can come up and down 10 times in a single day.

Glad to hear the predator is working.

We got 22-24” in Boston but much lighter than normal. This is “normal” - salt enfused, wind blown heavy snow.

Just ordered an impeller kit.

A Clarence Kit? Message Eljefino about his DIY Kit that jammed from slush so bad it broke the augur drive. That mod fell off the bottom of my to do list after I read his follow up
My follow up is that I waited til noon with temp barely 32 but mega sun and in less than 15minutes Had the chute gears and the de-clutch freed up. Started on the 3rd pull and I used it to clear in front of the doors. Gonna be 60 Wed and more snow on Sat
:cool:

Last edited:
I've installed several impeller kits on snowblowers, and have never had an issue with them freezing. I only use fender washers with the rubber paddles from a Toro S-620 though. The paddles are thick enough that they won't need a metal bar for reinforcement, and they can flex more.

The key is also not to put the rubber too tight against the side of the housing. You want it to barely rub, and just take up the gap between the impeller blade and the housing. They make a huge difference, especially with slush performance on an older machine.

Run the auger drive until there is no snow in the bottom of the impeller. Kit or no kit they can freeze. Make sure the impeller drain hole is not plugged by a stick or rock so it can drain also. Helps belts last longer also.

Me with my 28" Ariens Deluxe SHO blower Christmas week 2020. It was my first New England winter and what an eyeopener!
1643980065376.jpg

I just sold that snowblower last week since that 3' of snow in one day inspired me to buy a snowblower for my Kubota.

I noticed that Consumer Reports has Toro, Club Cadet, etc. rated higher but I‘m very happy with my Ariens 24” since 2011. It’s the perfect size for my property and I’m glad I upgraded to the non-abrasive skid shoes.
7446F350-F497-46AF-9CC0-125AE4C7114F.jpeg

I noticed that Consumer Reports has Toro, Club Cadet, etc. rated higher but I‘m very happy with my Ariens 24” since 2011. It’s the perfect size for my property and I’m glad I upgraded to the non-abrasive skid shoes.
View attachment 87506
And yours has the B&S engine from before Ariens started sourcing from China. Although to be honest, I don't know if domestic OPE power plants are still available.

Back