MC - Synpower Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 F150 with the 5.4L engine. For the first 70K miles of the truck's life, I used MC 5W20 and MC filters. My only issue was that there was a light varnish on the dipstick.

Due to the varnish, I decided to switch to Valvoline Synpower 5W20. I kept using the MC filters.

Almost immediately, I noticed that when starting the truck in the morning or after sitting all day, there was some engine noise for a couple seconds. I heard that sound described for these engines when people used an oil filter without the proper backflow preventer. My first thought was that I had a bad filter.

The next filter change, I continued with the Synpower and a new MC filter. Again, there was noise at start up. At this point, I started to suspect the oil - maybe it was thinner than the MC and leaked past the filter seal.

To confirm this suspicion, I went back to MC 5W20 oil at the most recent change. Interestingly, the start up noise is gone.

I guess there's something about the Synpower (or possibly any/most synthestic 5W20?) that causes start up issues with my engine. I suspect it may have to do with either thickness or perhaps the lack of polarity for the GIII oil?

Jon

Last edited:
Well there's good oil blends and bad oil blends then there good batches of good oil and bad batches of good oil. Like finding fine wine. IMO too much detergent % fighting for seat space w polar boundary lubricants.

IMHO, if varnish is your biggest problem I would not concern myself. I have seen on alot of dip sticks with cars that ran for a very very very = long time.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
IMHO, if varnish is your biggest problem I would not concern myself. I have seen on alot of dip sticks with cars that ran for a very very very = long time.

I agree. I'm less concerned and more intrigued by the fact that I experienced this difference between the two oils. I don't think either situation is worth worrying about, but its the first time in 25 years I've seen or heard any difference in oils in one of my cars.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I've used MC 5W20 and PP 5W20 in my fords (Mustang GT and Escape). I would suggest either going back to MC or trying PP or their new PU.

That would be an interesting experiment - does PP have the start up noise like Synpower or is it quiet like MC? Not sure I'll take the time to do it, but it would be interesting.

Originally Posted By: skunkstevens1
Are you using the Full Synthetic MC or the Synthetic Blend?

Synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back