MB W211 M112 with Rear Main Seal leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would probably go with the Rislone concentrate only because I have used it and seen no issues even when used long term, if you said there are a few drops under the car from the rear main seal I would go with the Bars.
If you are not seeing anything under the car, its not a real issue at this point, IMO the best course of action is to do what you can so it doesn't worsen. The last thing you want to do is blow the seals up like an elephants trunk, the seal will eventually shrink and possibly cause a real leak when it does,

Originally Posted by Trav
I would probably go with the Rislone concentrate only because I have used it and seen no issues even when used long term, if you said there are a few drops under the car from the rear main seal I would go with the Bars.
If you are not seeing anything under the car, its not a real issue at this point, IMO the best course of action is to do what you can so it doesn't worsen. The last thing you want to do is blow the seals up like an elephants trunk, the seal will eventually shrink and possibly cause a real leak when it does,

Thanks Trav! I think I'm going to give Rislone a shot with some M1 0w-40 Euro. Will post back here with results.

Update! I did my valve cover gaskets the other day and also went ahead and re-sealed my pcv covers and replaced all the pcv hoses. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw under the valve covers, no signs of sludge at all and only a slight bit of varnish, which oddly was only on the passenger side and mainly near the front of the engine. Pics attached.

I ended up doing a short OCI (500 miles) with a mix of several synthetic oils I had lying around along with one quart of synthetic ATF for cleaning, and then went with my old standby, Castrol Edge 0w-40 European Formula (GC).

I am pretty sure 99% of the leaking oil was from the valve cover gaskets and the passenger side pcv cover. If there is any seepage of the rear main seal at this point it is very minimal, nothing to warrant replacing it.

IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

That's how my looking ...when I was replacing my gaskets a year ago
I bought car with 118k on the clock..its a E430 01
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back